FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alpah Channel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Hersh
Alpah Channel
on Jan 15, 2016 at 7:51:14 pm

I have imported a JPEG of a flat earth into AE CS6.

I add sphere effect to make it into a globe that I spin. The problem comes after this step, as I have no alpha channel.

When I click the "alpha" in the "show channel and color management" it has a black background and will export like this no matter what settings I render with. So I have the globe image spinning surrounded by a black background.

I have tried rendering it a hundred different ways with no luck.

I want to put this as a lower thirds, but can't since there is no alpha. I have searched high and low for a solution and would appreciate any help.

How can I get just the globe for a lower thirds.

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
Re: Alpah Channel
on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:06:06 pm

That's odd. What else is in the composition besides the .jpg? When you toggle the transparency grid in the preview window, do you see the transparency grid?

Return to posts index

Dale Hersh
on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:55:21 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the repsone and it is very odd.

You can see what I have. There are only a few layers in the project. I have tried everything I can think of in settings and everywhere else. Only thing I can think of is that I took a flat JPEG and used the sphere effect on it. When I select the alpha channel in "show channel and color management" in the bottom of the comp window, it is also black.

Very strange. It's like you can't have an alpha behind the sphere.

Really stumped. This seems so simple yet it's not

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:29:45 pm

Let's eliminate the obvious:

You DO know how to check for transparency in your composition, and you DO know how to render movies with alpha channels, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dale Hersh
on Jan 15, 2016 at 9:49:46 pm

Hi Dave,

I am looking at the video right now. I can clearly see the checkerboard when I toggle transparency. I have exported RGB +Alpha in QT as animation.

you can see what I have.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2016 at 10:20:34 pm

Sorry, I'm not going along with YouTube's command to sign in to see the video. They can take a long walk off a short pier.

How are you viewing the rendered file? In something that can use alpha channels, like a video editing application?

What KIND of alpha channel are you making in QT Animation? Is it premultiplied (not common) or Straight (i.e NOT premultiplied, and very common)?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dale Hersh
on Jan 15, 2016 at 10:42:39 pm

sorry, didn't think u had to sign in to see utube.

I am exporting from AE and then opening it up in Edius pro 7 and also tried PP, but using edius more since I don't have CC.

I have tried both straight and premultiplied with same results. I am really stumped on this. It should be simple and I have done it many times before.

Just trying to put a spinning globe with a friends business name going around it and place it in the lower left quadrant. I am making a little video for his office. I have looked at everything I can think of.

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 15, 2016 at 11:39:57 pm

Yeah, that's certifiably weird if you've done this before.

I can only suggest this: if you're running AE CC 2015, use AE CC 2014 instead. It's a lot less buggy, and a lot more predictable.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]