FORUMS: list search recent posts

How did they create these shadows?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chaernon Adrian
How did they create these shadows?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 7:37:42 pm

Hi, I saw this music video a couple of days ago and I keep thinking on how they did it but still nothing comes to mind.

WHAT I THINK, is that they green screened the dancing girl and created the 2D animations that run in the background and just added her there. What I`m trying to find out is what effects/techniques went into making that shadow like figure.

I know how to do the background 2D animation/motion graphics, it`s just the shadow I`m really interested in. If you guys can help me I would be really thankful!

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
Re: How did they create these shadows?
on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:05:33 pm

I could be wrong but to me it looks like it could be done with simple layer styles. They just have a black color overlay of her main dancing footage. The pink could just be a drop shadow actually set to a certain distance, given a pink color and a certain opacity. The main shadow has a bit of an edge glow/blur softness that could be achieved a number of ways. But I would just start with layer styles and work from there

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2016 at 11:15:37 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 13, 2016 at 11:56:47 pm

A simple Drop Shadow effect does NOT have to be just black but any other color you want. You can also have the effect do shadow only, which is handy for blend modes.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this was shot on a green screen & keyed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
on Jan 13, 2016 at 11:51:39 pm

Right...my wording might have been weird there. You can choose any color for the drop shadow. I was just saying they might just be using a black color overlay for the main silhouette and adding in some outer glow type effect or something to get the edges to appear like that.

Return to posts index

Matt Griffey
on Jan 13, 2016 at 8:45:36 pm

Also looks like it has a bit of a chromatic aberration or something to it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2016 at 2:47:46 am

It sure does, and you can fake chromatic aberration in AE, but I don't know if they did. You only see it on one side of the subject, and faking it in AE puts it on the other side of the subject, too.

Or it could be me just being lazy - I wouldn't like jumping through the hoops it would take to make it one-sided.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chaernon Adrian
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:32:28 pm

That was indeed very helpful people. Thank you so much. I actually managed to get something very similar to that video thanks to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]