FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Text Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carroll Hoselton
Changing Text Color
on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:29:47 am

Hello this is my first post and I am also new to After Effects. I purchased a template and I am having an issue with my text colors. I changed them in one tab and they are not changed on the comp. Here are the screen shots. Does anyone know what the issue is? I attempted to contact the designer and I have yet to get a response. Any help would be great appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Changing Text Color
on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:05:05 am

Well, a quick -- and I mean VERY quick -- examination of those screen shots doesn't reveal any text layers. Now, my eyes aren't the best but I gotta ask in the most blunt of terms -- where on Earth did you get this dog of a template? I want to avoid it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carroll Hoselton
on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:05:13 am
Last Edited By Carroll Hoselton on Jan 13, 2016 at 2:06:04 pm

My client picked it from video hive.

The text is the correct color on one tab. Yet will not show correctly in the main comp. It is frustrating since I am new to this. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 13, 2016 at 2:50:09 pm

Templates often have color controls separate from the actual layer's controls. It is likely that a fill effect is in there somewhere. Look for a control layer that gives you color options and change the color there.

Without actually being able to poke around in your template, we're just guessing.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:31:31 pm

Whoops! Spoke too soon! I should NEVER try to look at screen shots on my crummy phone.

You see the 2 layers in that second screen shot? They're both text layers! Double-click on the layer name at the left to highlight the text. Go to the right side of the screed to the Character pane. Click on the color swatch. Change the color.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Carroll Hoselton
on Jan 13, 2016 at 5:35:30 pm

I did that. if you look at that same screenshot you can see the text color is blue and grey. But when I go back to the other comp, which is main 05 the text color is black. So there is something that is not being translated from one tab to the other. When I render the file out it is still block and not blue and grey. Sorry if my terms are not correct. New at this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:22:40 pm

Purge your memory & image caches... if you get the option to do just some, forget that and do all of them. See if the color change updates.

If it doesn't, I recommend ditching AE CC 2015 in favor of AE CC 2014, which you can download and install. It will exist side-by-side with the 2015 version, which some day may actually work as advertised. Or not.

There are just too many things wrong with the 2015 version for a newcomer to be messing with it -- it can drive you nuts.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 13, 2016 at 6:37:14 pm

Is there possibly a Color Overlay in Layer Styles applied to the layer. I use this regularly to make it easy to change colors of text to the client's spec:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/blending-modes-layer-styles.htm...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Carroll Hoselton
on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:06:53 pm

Okay after trying out that theory I was able to change a color. It looks like there is a black "tint" over the color I want. Now I just have to figure out how to remove it to review the true color.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:08:39 pm

If it's a tint effect on the layer and you can see it, you could try to simply turn off the effect.

Otherwise, look through your whole template for a control layer that has effect controls on it in the effects panel. There is likely to be a control for "Text Color" or "Logo Color" or something similar.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Carroll Hoselton
on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:29:13 pm

Here is the file. If you are not terribly busy would you mind looking at it? I sent this to the designer. He won't respond.

9655_beautifullogointrosprerenderedcs5convertedcopy.aep.zip

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:11:49 pm

Here's all you need to know, straight from the Adobe Help file:

Add, remove, and convert layer styles

•To convert merged layer styles into editable layer styles, select one or more layers and choose Layer > Layer Styles > Convert To Editable Styles.
•To add a layer style to selected layers, choose Layer > Layer Styles, and choose a layer style from the menu.
•To remove a layer style, select it in the Timeline panel and press Delete.
•To remove all layer styles from selected layers, choose Layer > Layer Styles > Remove All.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]