FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing the 3:2 Pulldown?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexis Latimore
Removing the 3:2 Pulldown?
on Jan 10, 2016 at 1:06:24 pm

So, I have a clip at 24 FPS that i drag into after effects. Just like the tutorials, I duplicate it, drag the second copy on top, double click it to get to the "layer" window to rotoscope, grab the rotobrush and it tells me i need to set the composition frame rate to 23.976. Okay, cool. I set the composition to 23.976 and to my horror, as i grab the rotobrush again, the top layer (duplicate copy of the footage) all of a sudden doesn't line up with the original! (AKA the duplicate footage layer is scooted down a bit) What is this? So, being experimental, I changed the composition back to 24 FPS and the interpret footage as well, and it is still happening!

Not to mention, I'm using dynamiclink from Premiere Pro to After Effects and someone mentioned removing the 3:2 pulldown in PP. Can someone enlighten me on how to do this? It's a whole new language...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: moving the 3:2 Pulldown?
on Jan 10, 2016 at 10:31:36 pm

Which version of AE are you using? If you are new, it should NOT be AE CC 2015. There are too many problems with it. Sorry. Adobe hosed you if you used it. Instead, download & use CC 2014. You should have more predictable results.

AE CC 2015 should be reserved for those with decades of AE experience behind them or for those who could ace an IT Guy exam. Use AE CC 2014.

Or... do the file interpretation BEFORE anything else. You can do pulldown removal there.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2016 at 2:44:07 pm

I ought to add that the instructions inAE Help are pretty straightforward for removing pulldown. BUT... if you're cutting in PP it's best to do it there. The sooner you get rid of pulldown the better.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lester
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:12:11 pm

I'm using After Effects CC and Premiere Pro CC.

Can you tell me how to do this? I'm so lost! :{ I just wanna rotoscope with my video footage which is read as 23.976 but it says its 24 in camera.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:16:48 pm

No, I can't.

Apparently you shot at 24p, but you did not remove the pulldown before you started cutting in Premiere Pro. That's fine if you go no further than Premiere Pro -- you can do that. But you used dynamic link to bring video into After Effects. After effects doesn't like pulldown, and when you remove it the frame rate changes and throws things off.

The solution -- go back to Premiere Pro and start all over again. remove the pulldown BEFORE you start editing. Re-edit. Then you can use dynamic link successfully.

Sorry, but you painted yourself into a corner. There are no easy fixes. If you need to know how to remove the pulldown, you can ask in the Premiere Pro forum. If they ask why, you just tell them you need to edit in 23.976 to do roto work in Aveer Effects via dynamic link.

Now go get busy.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:43:03 pm

Additionally, I don't think you actually shot at 24 full frames per second. The cameras that are capable of it are few and far between, and unless they come with a five-figure price tag, aren't to be trusted in their stated frame rates.

It is FAR more likely that you actually shot at 29.97 frames per second, and the camera added 3:2 pulldown. When the pulldown is removed, it creates a video file that is 23.976 frames per second. Sometimes that frame rate goes by its nickname, 23.98 fps.

In any case, remove the pulldown before you cut. Re-cut. Dynamic link should then work successfully.

Hey, you made a basic mistake. You pay for your mistakes. You will grumble while you pay for those mistakes. Because they are painful to make, you won't make them again.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lester
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:13:34 pm

This is true. I studied up on my file and its 23.976 fps in PP, progressive. I wanted to know if you could direct me on how to remove the pulldown in PP so i could have everything squared away for when i dynamic link the file over to AE for the rotobrush tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]