FORUMS: list search recent posts

Let layers move organicly with parent, under water / air wave effect.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nina Mertz
Let layers move organicly with parent, under water / air wave effect.
on Jan 9, 2016 at 10:41:06 pm

I've been looking for a way to achieve the following effect:

https://youtu.be/Pu_ijC8HFRU?t=15s

Note how the tentacles of the jellyfish are moving with the body of the jelly fish in an organic way, is this possible to achieve with a plugin/expression/..? Or is this all animated by 'hand'?
Also I was wondering if it was possible to be able to parent the tentacles to the body, and then be able to move the body to the left and right, with the tentacles following in a flowing/and delayed way?(First bending within the movement, and then come to their vertical position again slowly after the body stops?)

I hope i'm making any sense :)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Let layers move organicly with parent, under water / air wave effect.
on Jan 9, 2016 at 11:55:31 pm

Sorry, the link doesn't work for me. If this is real-life video of a jellyfish, you'll have to work like an animator.

There's a reason why early Disney movies took years to make despite having an army of animators: convincing animation is tough anit it takes painstaking work and a lot of time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 10, 2016 at 2:15:43 am

If this image is real, the trick is to get it to move realistically. It's not something that's easily done. Lots of motion variables that can negate an easy solution.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 10, 2016 at 9:09:45 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jan 10, 2016 at 9:41:06 am

Expressions and nulls to control puppet pin positions with a master control.

Basically, you would have a slider control for the jellyfish sideways motion (open/close) and each tentacle would have and expression that reads that slider setting, with a time delay as you move down the tentacle. The tentacles themselves are straight (or almost straight) pieces that are distorted with the puppet pin tool.

You would have a null at the beginning of the tentacle that was the master null for that tentacle. It would be controlled by the main slider and it would be parented to the main body.

It is fairly complex to set up one, but with some foresight you can set it up so that once done with one you can duplicate one tentacle as many times as you want, and the animation will be the same.

In brief, creating a time delay expression for the motion is the key here.

(On top of that, there is a wave or turbulent displace effect to make it even more organic as if the water is moving.)

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 10, 2016 at 9:58:32 am

Here's the basic idea for the tentacle motion with delay.

The motion of the "body" is a simple wiggle, the tentacle follows it automatically.

AE CC2014.

9644_tentacle.aep.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]