FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many Drives should i use for best AE CS6 Performance ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mazzaro Stefano
How many Drives should i use for best AE CS6 Performance ?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 5:02:14 pm

Hi Folks,

Well, I am setting a new storage configuration to improve Global Performance in AE CS6.

From what I understand, the best disk configuration would be :

1 SSD for Operating System + After Effect CS6
1 SSD for Footage Files (active project)
1 SSD for Disk Cache
1 SSD for Rendered Output

So we have here 4 SSD's. I will probably use a 5th disk (HDD) to store finished Projects.
Am I right ?

Thanks for help
Stef

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How many Drives should i use for best AE CS6 Performance ?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:56:41 pm

I don't think you need all those SSD's. I'd use a nice external array for assets, program files & renders.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mazzaro Stefano
on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:25:53 pm

Thank you Dave.

But from what I learned, SSD's are recommended for faster memory access and fast Read/Write speed.

I went to this conclusion : in order to avoid the drives to read and write simultaneously. Wouldn't this configuration reduce render time ?

Also, I'm not sure what do you mean by using " a nice external array " ?

Sorry English is not my native language.

I appreciate your help
Stef

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2016 at 12:29:46 am

SSD's are fast, but they are expensive and they do not have the capacity of hard drives. As I recently found out, the capacity of an SSD can grow smaller over time. I didn't know that.

You can spend about the same amount of money, and get almost the same speed with a striped array in RAID 5 configuration -- 5 hard drives in one enclosure, with a special controller that spreads the data across 4 drives for faster storage and retrieval. The fifth drive is a checksum drive. This is the kind of array that will re-build the data contained in it if one of the drives should fail.

To get the speed, you would also need the fastest connection you can get.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:00:37 pm

I built a 4 SSD configuration, similar to what you are building. On some projects extremely complicated projects, I do get a bump in rendering times compared to our other systems in the office. If I could go back though, I probably would have done 1-2 SSD drives and one large HDD for source and rendering and then invested the difference on my CPU's. Just my 2 cents.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
ThinkCK

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Mazzaro Stefano
on Jan 7, 2016 at 4:39:10 pm

I am surprised not to find any benchmark on the internet that shows the performance of a 1 disk configuration vs multi-disk configuration ..

While Adobe recommends the exclusive use of 1 SSD for cache disk, others users advise 1 disk only for render, 1 disk only for sources, etc..

My questions are :

- Will preview and render really improve with multi-disk config ? (so get better workflow)
- What would be this improvement 5% 10% 15% ... ?

Thank you Johnny for sharing your experience, it really helps me !

If any others have some clue on this, please feel free to share.

Thanks
Stef

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jan 8, 2016 at 5:02:46 am

You will get redundancy and speed with a RAID. If you have a RAID 5 setup you can lose one drive and still have all the data. If one of your SSD's malfunctions that's it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]