FORUMS: list search recent posts

coloring and moving a map?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
coloring and moving a map?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 4:58:45 pm

I have never gone this deep into AE CC, but I have a project. Please see the attached map. I want to color a country, then move to another country and color it in sequence, etc. I was thinking of making an array if images in photoshop, but I am not sure how to "stitch" them together seamlessly in AE. I have a basic understanding of AE and PS. I can keyframe with effects. I first thought it would be easier in PS because I could fill a country because it had a solid defined border without using a mask. I don't know how to use masks.

I am using this as an NTSC DVD opener for my parents 50th anniversary Europe trip. Any advice will help.

By the way, I just put a Mercury Accelsior E2 480GB in my 2009 Mac Pro and it has completely resurrected this machine.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: coloring and moving a map?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:17:22 pm

I have done this many times in Photoshop. As long as the white outlines on your map are closed, you can select each country in Photoshop, and then use the New Layer VIA Cut command to put it in place, on its own layer. Then use layer effects and Color Overlay to color the layers the way you want them - this will allow you to easily change colors if you want - you could also use the Drop Shadow effect to kick out the country.

Bring your Photoshop file in to AE as a Composition, and your layers will be intact. Then you can animate them as you choose. You may have to convert your layer effects when the import to AE happens, but I can't remember exactly. I think it will depend on what version of AE CC you're using.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:25:08 pm
Last Edited By Nelson May on Jan 6, 2016 at 10:26:01 pm

Great Thanks. I know this is a PS question, but since you answered my last one:

How do I select a single country? Do I use the lasso tool? Do I add a color to the country then select it? I am looking for ways to do this and am not having any luck. This is a .png file. Do I convert it to a psd file?

Cheers.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Chris Evans
on Jan 7, 2016 at 3:16:08 pm

Should be easy enough with the Magic Want Tool. If you click in a country, the selection shouldn't go past the white border.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jan 7, 2016 at 9:55:29 pm

As Chris said, the Magic Wand tool will do the trick. Just click the solid area for any one of the countries, and you should get a selection to which you can apply the Layer Effects mentioned above.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]