FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracking Text to revolve with a 3D object? (tracking orientation, etc.)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayden Patterson
Tracking Text to revolve with a 3D object? (tracking orientation, etc.)
on Dec 22, 2015 at 10:09:16 pm

Hi all,

I need to track text to match the rotation of a 3d object, so it rotates with it. Below is an example of what I need to do.

I've tracked text using the built in tracking feature in AE, but it's always been flat text, it didn't need to revolve with the object. Do I have to do this manually, or is there a simpler way via a feature?

Thanks in advance for all help!

Hayden

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Tracking Text to revolve with a 3D object? (tracking orientation, etc.)
on Dec 23, 2015 at 8:30:36 am

How is the 3D object created -- is it ready-made footage? Is there a background and if so, does it rotate with the object?

The basic approach for adding 3D text to existing footage is using the 3D camera tracker. If the entire shot is revolving, you would 3D camera track the shot and then add a 3D text layer in the desired position. There are plenty of tutorials on the 3D camera tracker and almost all of them deal with adding text to the scene.

If only the object is turning, it gets more complicated, as you have to mask out the object and precompose the result before using the camera tracker to fool the 3D tracking to follow the object, not the background.

There are commercial programs for object tracking that are more specifically for this purpose, but with built-in tools that's the approach.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]