FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Layer Timeline Gradient

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Brecheisen
AE Layer Timeline Gradient
on Dec 10, 2015 at 6:47:07 am

This has been hard to Google, since there are millions of results for "Gradient Tool," but a student sent me a screenshot of his timeline and one of his layers has a gradient in the timeline. If this is something common on old, I've never come across it. Is it common or new?

I recognize the screenshot lacks information in the layers, but I believe this either an Adjustment Layer or Solid with an effect keyframed on it. I asked for a more detailed screenshot, but did not receive one yet. I thought I'd ask in case this IS enough information. If not, please let me know what I need to capture to get an answer. Thanks guys!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84st8ofup1myjqs/Screen%20Shot%202015-12-09%20at%2...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE Layer Timeline Gradient
on Dec 10, 2015 at 2:22:06 pm

That shows a color property which has been keyframed from yellow to black.

Any color control will do this; a light's color, a shape's fill/stroke color, a color control on an effect like Fill, etc. Once a color property has been keyframed, you can twirl it open and see this color band (or press the U key to reveal keyframes) and how it changes over time.

It has been around for quite some time, but if you never keyframe colors, you'll never see it.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Thomas Brecheisen
on Dec 10, 2015 at 3:33:18 pm

Thanks Walter. I've been using and teaching AE for years and NEVER seen that before. I guess this leads to my next question.... how do you keyframe the color? I don't see a keyframe option when I select the label color. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 10, 2015 at 4:33:10 pm

It's not a label color.

Add the Fill effect to a layer. Click the stopwatch next to the Color control. Move the timeline forward and change the color. Press U in the timeline with the layer selected to reveal its changed keyframes. You'll see the Color control shows the color at the current time via that gradient.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Thomas Brecheisen
on Dec 12, 2015 at 6:23:27 am
Last Edited By Thomas Brecheisen on Dec 12, 2015 at 6:25:24 am

Ah, it's an effect on the layer, not the actual layer itself, got it. The screengrab I was given looks like it was it's own layer at first glance.

Well, that's awesome. I never knew that happened. Do any other effects give you visual information like that within the timeline? I think I'll have to investigate. Thanks.

Solved: Walter Dec 10

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]