FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular Trapcode in a 3D scene.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cristian Martin
Particular Trapcode in a 3D scene.
on Dec 9, 2015 at 4:29:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Having some problems with particular. I want to add some snow particles in the following scene:

I've been using 3d Element, so I have the camera in my ae-composition.

Once I've create the particular layer (Box Emmiter), nothing is visible. If I turn the focus distance to a value of 197 I start getting in the particle's box, but obviously not how I would like to. So I've tried to move+scale the emitter with no results at all.

What I want to do is getting this particles within my 3d world scene size, so I can get the camera going across this particles.

I know a workaround for this would be exporting the scene/ tracking some points/ create a few nulls/ link the Particular solids to each null. This approach may work, but it will need work to fake it.

But why do I need to recreate my 3dscenario when I have the original one? So I wonder... Is there any possibility to get this particles working in my original 3d scene? So I can keep my camera settings and key-frames exactly how they are?

Maybe I need some sleep.. :/ Really appreciate any help!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Particular Trapcode in a 3D scene.
on Dec 9, 2015 at 7:21:53 pm

1) Particular reacts to the camera, too, so you need to make sure that the emitter is in the camera's view, you need to make sure that the emitter is big enough that its volume covers the camera's view, you need to make sure no physical effects are driving all the particles out of the camera's view, and with DoF enabled, you need to make sure that all this is true of the focal point, too.

2) Both Element and Particular are really 2D effects that should be applied to 2D layers. They have their own 3D renderers that match the comp camera. They will not automatically interact in 3D, because Ae does not have a unified 3D space. With Element, you can use some depth and position pass compositing techniques to integrate two different 3D systems in the same visual space:

http://www.videocopilot.net/docs/element/compositing_element_3d/world_posit...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Cristian Martin
on Dec 10, 2015 at 9:07:36 am

Thanks a lot for your reply Walter.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Dec 10, 2015 at 5:48:45 pm

Your camera settings are far off what particular expects as default settings (your focus is too close to the camera).

You're probably not seing the particles because they are blurring it out too much. You can precompose that particular layer with a duplicate of your camera and just reduce the blur amount (in the camera's parameter) or the aperture amount by some fraction of what you current have animated.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

Cristian Martin
on Dec 20, 2015 at 5:21:38 pm
Last Edited By Cristian Martin on Dec 20, 2015 at 6:03:35 pm

As you well say Cassius the problem was the camera focus distance.

For all those who get here for an answer, I would suggest if you're using a similar approach with a 3d scene and particles, adjusting your world size settings in your 3D Element layer before to start animating your camera.

Taking your camera settings as a reference for "world size dimensions" between 3d layers and particles will ensure expected results.

I'll might come back posting a final breakdown If I get some free time.

Thanks you both for the answers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]