FORUMS: list search recent posts

shape oriented along a path rotating wildly before first and after last keyframe

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mel ruiz
shape oriented along a path rotating wildly before first and after last keyframe
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:02:27 pm

So, weirdness is ensuing before and after my path-created position keyframes.

I'm using AE CC 2014.
I have a shape layer. 2D. It's position has a wiggle expression.
I pasted a path from illustrator onto it's position.
it follows position fine, but it rotates (no more than 45 deg in either direction)
Nothing seems to be animating though when i watch the transform properties (except for the position wiggle).

Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

Return to posts index

mel ruiz
Re: shape oriented along a path rotating wildly before first and after last keyframe
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:21:24 pm

Now, i'm guessing it's an auto-orient along a path problem. I forgot to mention that I did auto-orient along path

any way to have it only auto-orient at certain points? or do i just need to keyframe rotation? any other solutions?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: shape oriented along a path rotating wildly before first and after last keyframe
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:23:54 pm

How long is the motion path? A tiny Illustrator path results in a short AE Motion Path.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

mel ruiz
on Nov 24, 2015 at 5:28:43 pm

I'm confused by your question. I don't see the significance with regards my problem, and it varies. I've increased the time of the path and stretched it out by dragging out the final and first keyframe.

The length is no problem. When it's within keyframes it's fine. It's definitely the auto-orient prob, because i turned that off and now it's not rotating. But. it would be great for me and much less time-consuming if i could auto-orient while on (elliptical) path. any way to do that? and/or get it to not wig out when sitting idle. I think it's auto-orienting every time the expression for position wiggles. so it's orienting around like a maniac with wiggle. does that make sense?

I wish to not 1) lose auto-orient completely or 2) get rid of wiggle. so are there any other ways to work around?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 24, 2015 at 6:30:04 pm

[mel ruiz] "I think it's auto-orienting every time the expression for position wiggles. so it's orienting around like a maniac with wiggle. does that make sense? I wish to not 1) lose auto-orient completely or 2) get rid of wiggle. so are there any other ways to work around?"

What if you apply the position wiggle to a null, leave the motion path and auto-orient on the shape, and make the null the parent of the shape?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

mel ruiz
on Nov 24, 2015 at 8:44:40 pm

what a wonderful solution! thank you. : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]