FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle text that forms and separates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wyclef chron
Particle text that forms and separates
on Nov 21, 2015 at 12:33:51 am

Hello,

Interested in animating some words made up of a custom shaped particle. Wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here?

Here is a pic of something similar to what I am thinking: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-onnvotiUMf8/TnoFcp0yeKI/AAAAAAAABVk/2hr7xJLhexE/s...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Particle text that forms and separates
on Nov 21, 2015 at 1:43:39 am

Bad link.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

wyclef chron
on Nov 21, 2015 at 2:43:36 am

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-onnvotiUMf8/TnoFcp0yeKI/AAAAAAAABVk/2hr7xJLhexE/s...

Guess it got clipped.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 22, 2015 at 9:54:35 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 22, 2015 at 9:56:18 am

Particular with a layer emitter for disintegrating and reversed of the same for forming.

Return to posts index

wyclef chron
on Nov 22, 2015 at 11:36:19 pm
Last Edited By wyclef chron on Nov 23, 2015 at 12:34:48 am

Ah, particular seems like the correct direction. Now, when I set a LayerEmit layer on the text comp, it just seems like I'm emitting particles from the text vs. the particles forming the text... what am I missing here? It seems like if I set some keyframes on the direction spread% from 0-some number I can sort of simulate this expanding and contracting motion.

After looking into this some more, I realized what I'm looking to do is a bit different than the standard particle disintegration you see examples of everywhere. I THINK what I want is for there to be no dimension, all the particles are on a flat surface (disc size 5 or something)... there is a set number of particles all the same size that make up the letters (400-500), they expand then contract.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 23, 2015 at 8:40:28 am

For forming text you can either use physics time factor or reverse the rendered footage.

(Speaking of "forming", Trapcode Form is another good tool for this.)

Making it look 2D rather than 3D would primarily be a question of settings. You can limit the Z axis motion to minimum and it will look 2D.

Return to posts index

wyclef chron
on Nov 23, 2015 at 4:34:48 pm

Please check these out:

https://reels.creativecow.net/film/24237 (see comment)
9491_particlestest.aep.zip

Return to posts index

wyclef chron
on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:07:58 pm
Last Edited By wyclef chron on Nov 23, 2015 at 10:27:44 pm

I don't know guys. Trying this again...

9497_particletest2.zip

Having a tough time wrangling the particles to behave how I'd like. I guess scrap my previous files... uploaded more current ones. Perhaps part of the problem is that rather than the particles look like it's making up the text when it expands it just looks like it's still emitting.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 24, 2015 at 7:10:16 am

By reversing I mean literally time reversing the action for the particles coming together. I took your render and used the beginning part, time reversed it for the coming together. (You'd want to ease the motion so it isn't this rigid.) Particle life is pretty important here. You don't want to have particles being born and disappearing if you want it to look like they are forming the word.

In that way Form is a better option as the particles are persistent. Also, you can fill the area evenly with less particles in Form.

But it doesn't look half bad this way either.

Reversed Particular

Return to posts index

wyclef chron
on Nov 25, 2015 at 1:48:40 am

You’re right. That rendering doesn't look half bad. I think I'll keep fiddling with it. If I were to switch over to try out Form would it be as straightforward as Particular? Really there should be presets for something like this already... maybe there are somewhere.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 25, 2015 at 8:18:05 am

I find Form to be a tad easier than Particular. They're very similar in logic and in terms of controls.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]