FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I hide a mask outline

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Van Gils
How can I hide a mask outline
on Nov 13, 2015 at 4:59:06 pm

Hey all, I've been working on a gaming compilation recently and I was planning on altering the text in the "Avatar the last airbender" intro by changing the word "Air Bender" with "SMAW Bender". I have done this quite successfully so far however there seems to be an annoying outline over the mask I'm using to hide the original "Air Bender" word. Basically I have an image of the background of the video and I have put that image over the word "Air Bender" so that it is no longer visible. After exporting the video to see if the border was just there in after effects as opposed to the final product you can still see the mask border moving as it follows the "air bender" word in order to stay infront of it, effectively hiding it.

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get rid of this border?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How can I hide a mask outline
on Nov 13, 2015 at 6:59:44 pm

Please show us a screen shot of your timeline and reveal the modified properties of the problem layer with the mask.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tom Van Gils
on Nov 15, 2015 at 2:33:14 am

It's been a while since I've worked on this project (was planning on getting back into it now) but I'll try remember as best as I can.

I believe I have taken a part of just the sky blue background like seen a above and placed it above the actual video of the intro which has the unwanted word, effectively hiding the word behind this small picture. This small picture is called "AVATAR....ND.png" and is just above the actual video, the mask that is used for hiding the unwanted word "airbender" changes in shape and position to follow it wherever it may be in the original intro. The word "SMAWBENDER" can be seen at the top of the list on the left and I believe it is just placed somewhere inside the small background picture cutout which is defined by an "add" mask. All other sources listed on the left are used in another part of the video and I havn't had any problems with those parts.

Please let me know if I need to go into more detail and I'll try find out what is needed to help describe my problem for you.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Return to posts index

Mit Panchani
on Nov 15, 2015 at 10:08:54 am

CTRL + SHIFT + H - may help you hide the mask border

Return to posts index

Tom Van Gils
on Nov 15, 2015 at 11:16:44 am

That hides the kind of border shown in my second bunch of pictures which isn't the problem, that border is just when you have selected something and isn't there in the final product. The border I do not like is the one seen in my first picture which doesn't disappear with the CNTRL + SHFT + H keys. Thanks for the suggestion anyway :).

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Nov 15, 2015 at 11:24:14 am

Feather the mask edge.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Nov 15, 2015 at 3:16:55 pm

As far as I can tell from your screenshots, that is the actual edge of your layer, not just the mask. So you should make the mask smaller than the layer, for instance by choking it to avoid AE drawing the semi-transparent edges as black.

Return to posts index

Tom Van Gils
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:06:34 pm

Kalle Kannisto thanks for your suggestion as well but the mask is very much smaller than the layer, the layer is actually the size of the video but only revealed in the location of the mask.

Return to posts index

Tom Van Gils
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:04:11 pm

Feathering just blur's it and makes it noticeable in a different way so that isn't what will work for me, thanks for the suggestion though!

Return to posts index

Tom Van Gils
on Nov 16, 2015 at 3:22:28 pm

Incase anyone is wondering I think I've figured out how to fix it, I have to make the mask in the same way demonstrated in this video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBn8DdPs0Es". My problem was that I tried to take a shortcut a long time ago and as a consequence I had those edges whereas if I had done the mask the same way as the other masks I had made I wouldn't of had that issue.

Thanks everyone for your time and contributions they have still helped me regardless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]