FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS6 - Combine effects on multiple compositions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Graham
After Effects CS6 - Combine effects on multiple compositions
on Nov 12, 2015 at 4:27:19 pm

Hello,

I've got a project with many compositions enclosing other compositions and as I now want to grade the footage only (with Magic Bullet Looks and Denoiser), well it's all getting a little complicated.

In a basic explanation, the current flowchart that I want to focus on kind of looks like so (taking 3 examples):
-Media* 6 > Scene* 2 > Main Comp*
-Media 9 > Scene 3 > Main Comp
-Media 11 > Scene 4 > Main Comp

*Media: composition enclosing footage
*Scene: composition enclosing animated Media*(multiple)/Solids/Text/Layers
*Main comp: composition enclosing each all Scenes*

I initially had Magic Bullet Looks and Denoiser put on an adjustment layer in each single Media* composition (31 of them), some of them were individually tweaked.
(The reason I want to regroup Media* compositions to a specific effect - or grade - is because Denoiser had failed me twice and I've had to delete and restart effect adjustments over again.)

So what I want to do is to grade the Media* compositions each with different panels of settings, in other words to apply the different effects settings to different groups of media. Here is an explanation of what it could look like:

-Media 6 > *MB Looks setting 1* > *Denoiser Setting 1* > Scene 2 > Main Comp
-Media 9 > *MB Looks setting 1* > *Denoiser Setting 2* > Scene 3 > Main Comp
-Media 11 > *MB Looks setting 2* > *Denoiser Setting 2* > Scene 4 > Main Comp

Unfortunately, the 'Copy with Property Links' function doesn't seem to be available in CS6. Because of the nature of what I am doing, I can't just set an adjustment layer per effect on the main composition timeline as I could just need *MB Looks setting 1* only for Media 6/Media 10/Media 21 (examples) on my timeline.

So the question is, how can I have:
-Media 6 looking through *Grading Effect 1 + Denoiser setting 1* before it hits Scene 2?
-Media 9 looking through *Grading Effect 1 + Denoiser setting 2* before it hits Scene 3?
-Media 11 looking through *Grading Effect 2 + Denoiser setting 2* before it hits Scene 4?

Hope that this makes sense.

Regards,
Anthony

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CS6 - Combine effects on multiple compositions
on Nov 12, 2015 at 8:53:12 pm

Grading within Ae presents some workflow challenges -- there's no real concept of shot or grade management. This might be significantly easier in an NLE or a grading application, but since you're already pretty far down the grading-in-Ae road:

[Anthony Graham] "Unfortunately, the 'Copy with Property Links' function doesn't seem to be available in CS6. Because of the nature of what I am doing, I can't just set an adjustment layer per effect on the main composition timeline as I could just need *MB Looks setting 1* only for Media 6/Media 10/Media 21 (examples) on my timeline."

Copy with Property Links won't work with Magic Bullet Looks anyway, since so many of the controls are within the custom UI.

I see a few options:

1) You could make an adjustment layer for each setting, then copy and paste and trim the adjustment layer as you need.

2) You could also rename the effect in the ECP, then copy and paste the effect you want onto existing adjustment layers.

3) You could manage looks with Custom Looks within the MB Looks UI.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Anthony Graham
Re: After Effects CS6 - Combine effects on multiple compositions
on Nov 12, 2015 at 10:06:30 pm

Walter, thanks for your reply. I've tried those options and they are not ideal.

Guess I'll have to start looking into training myself at davinci resolve or speedgrade. It's for the best.

Thanks a bunch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]