FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wrapping graphics around a can

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Guardian
Wrapping graphics around a can
on Oct 23, 2015 at 12:17:55 pm

Hi Guys,

So I got this footage I basically have to insert some graphics on the can (which is also spinning arond)...I thought I could make something out in AE but is definitely not happening, it looks like a C4D job (which I'm not that advanced at) could anyone explain me an easy option to get around this?
Any help would be really appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Wrapping graphics around a can
on Oct 23, 2015 at 5:37:54 pm

You'll need a cylinder of some kind to wrap the label around in any case. The only built-in cylidrical shapes in AE that I know of are CC Cylinder and the raytraced 3D layer bend.

You could possibly do this with the 3D camera tracker if you first masked and precomposed it so that there is only the can to track. (It seems workable in theory, but I haven't done anything like it as yet.) Then you should be able to get the raytracked bent 3D layer to stick to the movement of the can using a camera.

It would be better to have an actual 3D model or object there so C4D or Element are the likely candidates for this.

And you'll need to roto the fingers obviously.

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:01:48 pm

Thanks a lot! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:06:50 pm

Do a 3d track but not of the whole frame - crop around the can as tight as possible and precomp, then 3d track. Create then a Camera (camera solve) and use that to comp your 3d graphics in. Use Element 2d with a cylinder and custom layer for texture, or Zaxwerks Invigorator or ProAnimator. Both should work nice and allow you to use the 3d camera that was generated by the track.
Of course you need to match lighting, mask out the fingers, create some reflections, shadows and so on to sell the shot.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jonny Guardian
on Oct 28, 2015 at 1:52:44 pm

Do you guys know any online tutorial for this?

I tried the way you guys sayin but still struggling a bit :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]