FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text appears in parts

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matīss Pērkons
Text appears in parts
on Oct 22, 2015 at 8:49:54 pm


As you probably know new James Bond movie is coming. And I'm making video review and I'd love to add text appear the same way as it happens in Spectre teaser.

Jump to 1:23

How do I make my text appear in such way in After Effects? Not just the parts of text, but parts of letters?

Any advice will be helpful.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Text appears in parts
on Oct 22, 2015 at 11:58:29 pm

1) Select your Text Layer
2) Then select Layer>Create Shapes from Text
3) Twirl down the Contents of the newly created Shape Layer
4) Select all the letters/groups and select the Quick Mask Tool. Click on the word Fill, next to the Toolbar. Select the No Fill option - we need ONLY Strokes and the Trim Paths feature - Fills just gets in the way.
5) Use the Shape Layer's ADD Wing Menu to apply Trim Paths
6) Keyframe the End prop from 0 to 100
7) Place the original Text Layer above the Shape Layer - we're going to use it as a Track Matte
8) Apply Track Matte for the Shape Layer - choose the Alpha Matte option
9) Select all the letters/groups within the Contents section. Select the Quick Mask Tool. Adjust the Stroke value and scrub the Timeline Indicator to gauge how large the Stroke value should be without compromising the look.
10) Apply an Adjustment Layer at the top of the layer stack. Apply Bevel Alpha and any other 'looks' plugins to get a Beveled look.

- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Matīss Pērkons
Re: Text appears in parts
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:07:10 pm

I know this may sound a foolish question, but it comes from somenone who's not working with AE on daiy basis.

Where can I find Quick Mask tool?

I'm used to regular way: Layer/Mask.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved