FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selecting same parameters within a large group of shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bitterman
Selecting same parameters within a large group of shapes
on Oct 16, 2015 at 2:00:24 pm

I just thought I'd ask, since I keep coming up against this issue;

Is there a technique, script, or plug-in that will allow you to select the same parameter in a large group of shapes for all items in that layer/group/etc?

For instance, right now I have an ai file converter to shapes that contains about 50 white bubbles. I need to adjust the individual shape transform opacity parameter, and want to change it for all shapes universally, but they're layered so each shape needs this set in it's own transform group.

So I can select all layers and open them, but then I have to select all transform groups and open them, then select all opacities at the same time to edit them together. Obviously with all these shapes having all their parameters twirled down this is a mess and a PITA! Is there a simpler way to do this?

Any help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Selecting same parameters within a large group of shapes
on Oct 16, 2015 at 3:29:59 pm

Select all layers, press "T" for opacity and adjust the setting in one of the layers. All other layers will be adjusted the same.

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:27:05 pm
Last Edited By David Bitterman on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:34:39 pm

Thanks, that will work if I'm trying to adjust a normal layer etc, but I'm adjusting multiple shapes on a single layer where the opacity option is within the transform group for the particular shape within the layer. There's no key command to actively select this parameter. So from what I've judged so far, any parameter on a single layer (probably not grouped like the way shape layers are handled) that has a key command can be selected with multiple layers selected. I'm trying to figure out how to select the same parameter within a layer or group that is nested, like the shape group's transform controls.

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:33:36 pm
Last Edited By David Bitterman on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:34:02 pm

I figured there might be a script or something that does this, or possibly an expression way to go about it, like with layer.parameter index[] numbers or some such. It just seems a pain to have to drill down and select every single shape layer parameter.

Return to posts index

David Bitterman
on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:41:55 pm

So for me I've found that copy + paste works here even without the parameter selected. Sometimes the simplest solution!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:48:24 pm

"So for me I've found that copy + paste works here even without the parameter selected. Sometimes the simplest solution!"

Oh, excellent, even simpler!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 16, 2015 at 5:45:29 pm

Okay, I misunderstood you, sorry.

You have at least two options, depending on the situation:

A) If you only need to modify one property, you can turn on the keyframes for that property (for each shape>transform>scale, for instance), and show that property by pressing U on the keyboard. You'll have to select each scale before changing it, so it only helps you part of the way

B) If you have several properties to change, or just want to make it easier to change one property, make a slider control and connect the properties to it with an expression. Once that is done, you can control a property with a single slider -- or a set of sliders if you have several properties connected to them

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]