FORUMS: list search recent posts

too much lag, how do I speed up the real time preview loading bar in the composition viewer rendering window

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dany Targa
too much lag, how do I speed up the real time preview loading bar in the composition viewer rendering window
on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:44:03 pm

I have animated the cars on a freeway taken from Google Maps. There are well over 500 cars in this project and After Effects is barely usable because of lag. Real-Time Preview in the composition Viewer/ Rendering Window takes up to 10 minutes to show changes.

I think this problem could be solved if someone can tell me a way to manually trigger the Viewer loading bar, maybe it’s also called ‘refreshing the viewer’?

I hope I have worded my problem correctly, I am still new to all of this and I am not sure of the proper names for each feature of After Effects. I have attached a screen shot with a pink square around the Viewer loading bar to show you what I mean.

At the moment I just have to sit and wait, hoping this loading bar will happen.
I am not talking about RAM preview, I just want to see the changes I make reflected more quickly in the viewer. 10 minutes is just too long to wait each time I make a change.

I have tried everything to speed this up. I have selected the lowest quality setting for the Viewer/ Rendering Window, I use the ‘Region of interest’ toggle all the time, and I use “Solo-ing” and Wireframe view wherever possible but it’s just not enough. I am tearing my hair out over this! This is an extremely time consuming problem, I am almost finished, just a few more tweaks and the project will be finished, but those few tweaks are taking days.

Is there a way to manually refresh or load the Viewer after each change?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: too much lag, how do I speed up the real time preview loading bar in the composition viewer rendering window
on Sep 28, 2015 at 12:14:36 pm

Your comp is huge: 30,000 pixels wide and 5,283 pixels tall. This requires a lot of system resources, and perhaps there could have been a lighter way to set this up. I'd point out that you are already rendering this at one-quarter resolution; the final render will be even slower!

What are you actually trying to accomplish? What are you expecting to deliver? Maybe we can help you re-engineer your project setup a bit.

Failing that, there's a good page in the documentation called Improve performance [link] that has some workflow tips that might help you.

What are your system specs? What are your Ae memory settings? What version of Ae are you running?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: too much lag, how do I speed up the real time preview loading bar in the composition viewer rendering window
on Sep 28, 2015 at 3:53:24 pm

That is a massive comp with a lot of layers. There is no way to significantly speed it up in your current setup unfortunately. Maybe make some proxy layers for cars or the map if you are done animating. That could help a little.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]