Changing background - reflections

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Clausen
Changing background - reflections
on Sep 22, 2015 at 2:40:11 pm

Hi experts.

Long time since iv been here.
I recently started a new job and doing some small animations again. (haven´t used AE in a few years.)

I need to do a bottle with water splashing around it, so follow this tut

And got tho looks I want. Problem is: It´s on a black background / the shadows in the water gets dark. How do I fix this ? BG needs to be white.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Changing background - reflections
on Sep 22, 2015 at 2:48:24 pm

I haven't watched the tutorial, but can you not just add a white solid as your background?

Return to posts index

Simon Clausen
on Sep 22, 2015 at 7:26:10 pm

unfortunately not. I tried precomp, but still the same.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Sep 22, 2015 at 9:21:14 pm

Well you can't have a true white background, Otherwise you wont see the water highlights and the whole effect won't work.

Its all a matter of concept. In order to see the water better you need to have a greyish BG. I'm not sure how that tutorial ends up against a grey BG but I think you should be able to composite it over either by applying blend modes or adjusting curves.

Can you post a SS? Its hard to judge how far off it looks...

Return to posts index

Simon Clausen
on Sep 23, 2015 at 7:21:16 am

First is with alpha

Second, with a grey background. See how it just affects the project and makes it darker.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:58:04 pm

I watched a part of the tutorial. Based on that I would say that you need to use the glass effect to distort a white to blue to black background (mainly white to blue) to get the water look, then use another copy of the same particular layer (or set of layers) as a track matte to cut it out of the background. Probably more complex than that, but that being the central idea.

Return to posts index

Simon Clausen
on Sep 24, 2015 at 7:29:38 am

Im not sure what you mean exactly. I have an adjustment layer as a glass effect. but no way to change the color of it. Can you explain the track matte situation, you mean that I use the particle layer as en track matte to the white-blue-black gradient?

Return to posts index

Simon Clausen
on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:32:13 am

Actually my problem is the shading / shadows are to dark, and black. If could change them to a blue color. problem solved

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 24, 2015 at 8:54:23 am

I'm thinking you could use one Particular layer (black and white, faded spheres) as a height map for the glass effect (or some other similar effect) that refracts a white-blue-black gradient like water, then use another copy of the same Particular effect (black and white, sharp edges) as a track matte to cut it out of the background.

A single layer will likely not create a convincing effect, you'll need several, but that is the method I would try. It would make the particles mainly shades of blue, but have white highlights and dark shadows on the edges as well. (Although real water is colorless, we tend to regard water as "blue".)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]