FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with removing unnecessary shadow from Ambient Occlusion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kreatywna Krowa
Trouble with removing unnecessary shadow from Ambient Occlusion
on Sep 20, 2015 at 1:45:13 pm

Hi there.

I read that tutorial: VIDEO COPILOT | After Effects Tutorials, Plug-ins and Stock Footage for Post Production Professionals

And it works, now I can finally get my shadow in 3D elements.

But every time when I created my shadow by ambient occlusion options (way to do that I showed in in a link above) I get also a unnecessary shadow.

It looks like this:

1. https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-7980809-820112...
2. https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-7980809-820113...

Let me explan once again. I have my letters and when I add a shadow to them I see shadow:

- above my letters (it is good)

- on edges of my screen (I don't want that)

I don't want that shadow on my edges but it is happening EVERY TIME. What can I do to remove it? Masking isn't helping because when I mask only my letter, every frame instantly "scale down" (like on a screen above) every time.

I am using plugin called ELEMENT 3D to do that.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Trouble with removing unnecessary shadow from Ambient Occlusion
on Sep 21, 2015 at 5:15:10 pm

It would probably be very easy to answer your question if you included a sample file where this problem occurs. You can make a simple setup that shows the problem in an AE+Element comp.

Return to posts index

Kreatywna Krowa
on Sep 21, 2015 at 6:40:48 pm

I can duplicate all of my layer with 3D effect. But in a 1st layer I can disable that shadow and then in a 2nd (that duplicated layer) I can turn on shadow and MASK all of it. But that solution is not a "professional one".

Ok, I made very simple project to show that situation.
While making it I figuret out that if my "shadow solid" is too big, then it gets a shadow. If it is small, we can't see that unnecessary shadow on its edges.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 21, 2015 at 7:37:28 pm

Well, I still don't understand where you get that edge shadow from. I can enlarge the plane however large I want and get no shadow at the edges. See example below, where I scaled the plane to 10000% which is the maximum scale setting. Seeing your actual project file would clarify what is happening.

Return to posts index

Kreatywna Krowa
on Sep 21, 2015 at 9:59:04 pm
Last Edited By Kreatywna Krowa on Sep 21, 2015 at 10:01:04 pm

I will get that strange, unnecessary shadow every time when I want to get Ambient Occlusion shadow.
Seriously, I don't know what I am making wrong.

You can see a whole process of making it:

(sorry for the music in background, that's my Winamp being active)

And here is that project file (Element 3D plug-in is needed):
https://mega.nz/#!p1ZhzL4I!Rs5PXDJhOLH-ykqvgIbqeE0YqtZi8qIuVREffNrOqv4

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 22, 2015 at 8:31:48 am

A couple of things, the first one being the likely main issue:

1) Element is not meant to be added directly on the text layer. Instead create a new solid that is the size of the comp, add Element to it, select the text layer as custom text layer in Element Effect Controls, and only then enter Element Scene Setup and extrude the text.

2) It is probably better to create the plane from the Create button at the top of Element interface. You can create basic primitives from there. I don't have the plane model which came with Element V1 so I couldn't check if that had anything to do with the issue, but the created Plane Model worked just fine.

The text layer in your sample file was huge, probably because you had to enlarge it to cover the comp. No need for that doing it as per step (1) above.

Return to posts index

Kreatywna Krowa
on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:21:25 pm
Last Edited By Kreatywna Krowa on Sep 23, 2015 at 8:23:42 pm

AD 1 - that is very important issue. Even if we talk about a comp size. After it resizing is unnecesssary because everything fits to my project. So, that is a good one tip. I don't like to have a lot of layers so I decide to add Elementd 3D effect on my text layer instead adding it on the new one layer.

AD 2 - Do you want me to make a second 3D effect instead adding a "plane" object in one 3D build?
But how? I know that this method will not work because that two 3D layers will not "see each other" and wouldn't affects of each other. We can't make two separatedd, different layers of 3D with Element 3D plug-in and mix it together.
That's why I added a plane layer in my also 3D text layer. I made even a test and it didn't work. So, your 2nd advice is not helpful for me. Form this point I still can't add a shadow to my 3D text. What about to describe how to do it step by step?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 24, 2015 at 7:20:23 am

I believe adding the Effect directly to the text layer is the reason for the AO problem. And it's just not the way Element is meant to be used. Similarly, you shouldn't use a mask directly on the same layer where Element is, but use a track matte, if you want to mask something out.

I mean adding the plane primitive instead of the plane model. You are adding the plane model from the model library. This shouldn't be a problem, but since there is a primitive for the same shape, I simply suggested it might be a better idea. Add it in the same Element instance, but from the Create menu:

Return to posts index

Kreatywna Krowa
on Sep 26, 2015 at 10:31:27 pm
Last Edited By Kreatywna Krowa on Sep 26, 2015 at 10:39:09 pm

But I don't have that option. I have only this visible: http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i.imgur.com/QtLSgP6.png Earlier version of software.
And I don't know how to do it. I have no idea how to get the same shadow like you have.

Also.... made a new layer and apply 'Element 3D' effect to that layer (not to the TEXT layer like before) also didn't help.

See this and look on EDGES (I have still that shadows):

What's now?

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 27, 2015 at 8:15:50 am

Ok, I see that Element Version 1 indeed has this problem with AO shading at the edges. I managed to get rid of it by increasing the AO Cut-off (under Advanced Options) to 3, but had to compensate for it by increasing the radius to 2 to keep the look of the shadow otherwise similar.

Return to posts index

Kreatywna Krowa
on Sep 28, 2015 at 7:12:33 pm

Hmmm, your tip is working best. I still can shee a shadow on the edges but this time it is smaller.
So, probably that works element in Earlier version.
Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]