FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 25 fps animation to play as if on twos, in a 25 fps composition.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Pierson
Converting 25 fps animation to play as if on twos, in a 25 fps composition.
on Sep 13, 2015 at 10:31:38 pm

Hello,

I've always wondered if I was missing a really easy way to do this -

Imagine you have a bouncing ball animated in after effects, the frame rate is 25fps, and you have everything working really nice and smoothly with nice ease ins and outs etc.

Then say you wanted it give it the more 'hand made' feel, perhaps its looking too smooth and digital on ones and making it look as if its on twos gives it a little more charm.

You could drop that compositions frame rate to be lower, at 12fps - which works, and looks nice. But then if you want to drop this animation into another another composition which has to be at 25fps as its a video shot at that frame rate, then of course you newly made 12fps animation is going to play at 25fps again - making it super smooth, which we dont want..

I know you could just render out the 12fps animation as a mov or mp4, and bring that into the 25fps composition and it would work ok - but I was wondering if there was an effect/plugin that could make a comp look as if it was animated on twos?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Converting 25 fps animation to play as if on twos, in a 25 fps composition.
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:23:29 am

Make it 12.5 fps. NTSC works at 29.97 fps no problem.
You won't see a half of a frame as you may fear.

Frame rates are a measure of time. They aren't a measure if what you see... if that difference makes sense.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 14, 2015 at 2:09:34 pm

When you think about it, 12.5 frames per second is also 25 frames every two seconds.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 15, 2015 at 1:03:34 am

[James Pierson] "You could drop that compositions frame rate to be lower, at 12fps - which works, and looks nice. But then if you want to drop this animation into another another composition which has to be at 25fps as its a video shot at that frame rate, then of course you newly made 12fps animation is going to play at 25fps again - making it super smooth, which we dont want.."

In your lower-frame-rate comp, open the Composition Settings (Ctrl+K on PC, Cmd+K on Mac), click Advanced, then check the "Preserve frame rate when nested or in render queue" box.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]