FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM preview in CC 2014 won't play realtime

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ivan Ferenczsak
RAM preview in CC 2014 won't play realtime
on Sep 12, 2015 at 9:58:11 am

Hi everyone, this is my first started thread, although I've been finding answers to many AE problems here for years. This time I found no answer so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

In CC 2014, when I hit RAM preview, the green bar loads up, but after that, when I try to play it back using spacebar it's ALWAYS not realtime.. e.g. if my composition is @29,97, it usually plays back at 23-25 fps.

That's really annoying, especially since I recently upgraded my hardware just to have a smooth AE workflow, and now I can't get it. It surely is not due to lack of RAM because I got 16 gigs... here are my specs:

i7 @ 4 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Any suggestion on how to deal with this would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tim Bentley
Re: RAM preview in CC 2014 won't play realtime
on Sep 12, 2015 at 10:18:19 am

Is it just with a particular composition / project, or does it happen regardless of what you're rendering?
16 GB isn't a huge amount of RAM though, make sure you're leaving enough free for other applications and that there's not another application hogging it.

http://timbentley.info

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 12, 2015 at 11:01:05 am

It seems that it happens regardless of the composition or project. It's not even complicated comps that I'm rendering now. Here's a screenshot of my Memory and multiprocessing settings:

Sometimes it plays back as low as half the original fps.

Return to posts index

Tim Bentley
on Sep 12, 2015 at 11:05:13 am

Try turning off multiprocessing for RAM previews, I've got a similar spec laptop and multiprocessing slows down the RAM Preview considerably.

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 12, 2015 at 11:13:33 am

I thought multiprocessing speeds up the RAM preview? Doesn't make sense to me that it actually slows it down. I didn't measure, though, I just assumed it would be faster this way.

But I still don't see how this would affect playback AFTER the preview is already rendered into RAM...?

Return to posts index

Tim Bentley
on Sep 12, 2015 at 12:10:13 pm

Hopefully someone who knows more than me about what goes on under the hood of AE will answer this, but multiprocessing basically opens multiple versions of AE running on different cores so it not only takes a while to start up but isn't necessarily faster in all setups. Even on my workhorse computer I never have it set up for the RAM preview, it takes ages to start up and I've had similar problems to you in the (distant) past.

You could also try working in CC 2015 then only moving to 2014 for the final render, although 2015 has a few problems of its own...

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 12, 2015 at 12:31:07 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Ferenczsak on Sep 12, 2015 at 5:49:40 pm

I've tried 2015 but reverted back to 2014 mostly because I couldn't get the preview to work as I wanted it to, and since they completely changed the way it works in 2015 I couldn't get my self to grasp it fast enough and I'm on a deadline so I just went back to 2014. Then I got this new problem with playback not being realtime and it stuck ever since. I really hope someone who understands these processes better will read this soon enough. Thanks for your input anyway.

EDIT: one thing that's also driving me nuts and happens often, is that after finishing rendering to RAM, if I click away it immediately discharges the RAM, green bar vanishes, and there's no blue bar either, so nothing is cached to disk even... and then I have to render to RAM again. Those things make working in AE almost impossible :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AM preview in CC 2014 won't play realtime
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:39:17 am

AE creates video frames at the resolution (full, half, quarter, etc.) You specify and at the frame rate of the comp.
If your computer is unable to keep up with the bit rate of the frames itcreated in memory, it won't play in real time. Since we know nothing about your macine, we're unable to explain why you are unable to preview in real time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:29:55 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Ferenczsak on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:31:59 pm

HI Dave, thanks for the reply. I got a decent machine so I don't see how the hardware could be the problem. Here are the specs:

Core i7@4 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)

I know that 16 GB is like a bare minimum for AE, and when I got no other Apps running I got around 10 GB of free RAM. I really don't see how this could not be enough to render a comp 10 sec in duration and then to play it back realtime.

Another issue I've been having is, when I render out a RAM preview, it usually does play in realtime first time, but then when i click away, the green bar just disappears! And there's no blue bar either, like nothing is cached to disk even....

This has been bugging me for days now, but haven't noticed it before in AE, not on this neither on other machines.

Return to posts index

Nick Patten
on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:56:40 pm

Hi try emptying your cache in preferences. Also do you have an external ssd drive for your media and cache? If not that will cause sluggishness

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:12:12 am

I tried emptying the cache before and it didn't help. The cache is set up on the same SSD as the OS...so that is what's causing the problems?? I got another SSD with second OS (dual boot setup) and maybe I could make a partition for the cache on that one...what would be the optimal size of cache for AE?

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 22, 2015 at 8:24:01 pm

Sorry folks but I really need to bump this thread... still searching for the solution, so ANY answer is more than welcome!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2015 at 10:51:09 pm

I'd start by reducing the size of the comp window to 50%. and dropping the resolution to Half. If it's a 59.94 comp, you can also preview every other frame, and the motion still looks good. Use shift-zero (num keypad) to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ivan Ferenczsak
on Sep 23, 2015 at 4:54:26 am

Comp window already is at 50%, and the resolution is set to half both in the comp view and in the render settings. Frame rate is 29.97

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 23, 2015 at 3:26:09 pm

If you run a lot of other applications at the same time as AE, don't. Web browsers are notorious for slowing things down, as are web-based applications.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]