FORUMS: list search recent posts

create Cardiac monitor / heart rate monitor/ ECG / EKG wave form?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Paul
create Cardiac monitor / heart rate monitor/ ECG / EKG wave form?
on Sep 9, 2015 at 6:36:43 pm

So how do I create a cardiac monitor

you know those things that stand around in a hospital and go "beep-beep-beep". How do you advise I animate this?

My problem: I want to have full control over this thing. I want it to show peaks when I need peaks and I need it to be flat when it is supposed to be flat. Any idea what's the best way to do this? Thanks a million

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: create Cardiac monitor / heart rate monitor/ ECG / EKG wave form?
on Sep 9, 2015 at 6:57:57 pm

I have found this tutorial https://library.creativecow.net/articles/rabinowitz_aharon/CC_Heart_Monitor... which I think is pretty great and useful.
Now I just need some help by sorting out my personal brain farts (yes I've said it). Here is what I am trying to do: You see a person that's first calm and then she gets stressed. Should I just animate a normal beep line - it fades it black - swap the picture with a line that has a lot of peeks? Does this make the most sense? Or should I animate 1 normal one, 1 extreme one and 2 in betweens and then I build up tension? What is the best way to go about this? How do those heart monitors work? Does it jump straight to the highest peak? I mean what I could gather is that it monitors the heart rate and displays that with one line, then it refreshes the picture and monitors it again so the line will never move...hmm so should I have a normal line (up down) with a big peak in it all of a sudden???

I am just very confused about all this.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2015 at 7:11:41 pm

That's more of an editing technique question -- it's tough to answer authoritatively without being able to look over your shoulder.

Once you have the sequence storyboarded in your mind, or better yet on paper, you'll know how to proceed in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 9, 2015 at 7:20:54 pm

I do not have any storyboard or anything like that. I am doing the animation (AE) and the video editing as well. I do not know the footage yet but I have been told "there will be 3 differently coloured waves to show fear, excitement and heart beat. so you will have some footage of a person and their different emotions". That's all I know so far and I am not perfectly sure what would be the best way to do this. I guess maybe render out 3 different waves with different peaks and an alpha and combine those?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 9, 2015 at 8:02:06 pm

Well, how are you planning on cutting it together? Have you asked them what they expect to see? One EKG line, then build on it with more? All 3 togetherer? Separately? Will there be accompanying audio? Will there be people displaying the various emotional states?

A lot of questions to ask before you jump into the pool.....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 9, 2015 at 11:49:25 pm

I know that it will be a woman sitting in front of a computer and she reacts to stuff. There will be 3 lines (sweat, heartbeat, eye movement or something) shown at the same time. Since 3 different coloured lines are supposed to be shown at the SAME TIME (and I do not know how to time all this. Getting the timing right on such a thing sounds very time consuming) I figured I render out a normal version and a version with a lot of peaks for every colour (for all those 3 lines so 6 exports in total) with an alpha channel and then I just swap it from normal mood to extreme mood. That would have been my idea or is there a better way to solve this?

Maybe have an entire graph move from the left to the right and then I mark ALL the ups and downs and just mask it and make it move along for the entire sequence but that sounds like way too much work for editing an entire piece (about 6 minutes) plus graphics in one day.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Sep 10, 2015 at 1:30:52 pm

Still my question is: How would I make something like posted in the video above. How do I make that point follow that line?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:08:18 pm

Never had to make one. But I'm willing to bet that Andrew Kramer at Videocopilot has. Check out his tutorials there... they go way back to the days when heart monitors were all the rage. In fact, that example video looks a lot like his work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]