FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to smooth out micro jitter on tracking data

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Nibor
how to smooth out micro jitter on tracking data
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:20:08 pm
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:52:10 pm

after tracking points and then attaching shapes or type to the tracking data there is often a small amount of jitter noticeable.

after doing some research I tried the "smoother" but it didn't work how I expected. The motion was smooth, but at the same time the attached type was off way too much.

what is the best way to smooth out the micro jitter from tracked points?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: how to smooth out micro jitter on tracking data
on Sep 4, 2015 at 6:31:15 pm

Is this footage interlaced?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Sep 4, 2015 at 7:00:28 pm

No Dave it's progressive. The footage might be a little noisy though.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 4, 2015 at 10:49:44 pm

Are the inner & outer track boxes too small, perhaps?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Sep 5, 2015 at 9:09:08 am
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on Sep 5, 2015 at 12:35:28 pm

Thank you for mentioning these additional possibilities, but no Dave, the sizes are not the reason. Although I think the size of the outer box wouldn't matter anyway.
I think it's the footage itself that is not ideal.

Since this is a problem that happens quite often when dealing with difficult footage I am actually looking for a solution to FIX THE TRACKED SOLUTION, rather than trying to optimize the footage which is often a dead end.

To be a little more specific. In this case the track is simple. It's a slow and long movement and the tracked result looks like a perfectly smooth curve. When zooming in though, the curve reveals a sawtooth movement.
I am looking for a tool or script that "intelligently" averages out the tiny sawtooth jitter according to the big picture.

The built in AE smoother is supposed to do just that - if I'm not wrong. But it did never work out for me... the results were either not noticeable or threw the result off by miles. (I've spent lots of time to get it right and applied changes in the smallest possible ranges.)
Then there is the TrackerViz Script which does it's thing by averaging multiple tracks.

I am already done with my current project using AE smoother gave me a usable result in the end. But only since this is a very forgiving shot. I know from experience that it wouldn't have worked out if the movement hadn't been that smooth. I am Still looking for a better solution that I can use the next time I run into this problem.

So, to make a long story short.
Does anyone know of a way to filter out (average out) micro jitter from the tracked keyframes?

Thank you for reading ; )

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Sep 5, 2015 at 6:29:39 pm

In addition the the Smoother, there is the smooth expression, which does a slightly different thing. The Smoother deletes keyframes while the smooth expression averages them within a given time range and number of samples.

So, if you haven't tried the smooth expression, it's definitely worth testing on this issue.

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Sep 5, 2015 at 7:59:49 pm

Thank you Kalle,
I think this is what I was looking for. I have read about this expression some time ago... but completely forgot about it.

If anyone is interested too and needs some basic info.... here it is:

Return to posts index

Maurice Vlot
on Oct 6, 2015 at 9:45:04 am

Thank you very much, this was very helpfull!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]