FORUMS: list search recent posts

Split Flap Display (old style departure board)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim West
Split Flap Display (old style departure board)
on Aug 17, 2015 at 9:29:40 am

Hi,

I’m looking to create a ‘split flap display’ rig in AE (similar to the old style departure boards which flip through various ‘cards’ to create numbers & letters).

The rig ultimately needs to consist of a grid of ‘units’ (top & bottom flaps) which can transition between images covering the entire grid - through to individual images on each unit.
Ideally I would be able to customise the transitions too - for example a ‘cascade’ of flipping diagonally across the board, or a in a radial motion outwards from the centre.

This link illustrates the effect I’m looking to achieve: https://vimeo.com/101380658

I’ve done a bit of research & have found various tutorials which go some way to achieving have reached a bit of a dead end in terms of creating large single images with variety of transitions.

If anyone has any experience of creating something similar or knows of any techniques / plug-ins that might be useful, I’d love to hear from you.

Thanks for your time,

Tim

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
Re: Split Flap Display (old style departure board)
on Aug 17, 2015 at 1:13:25 pm

I don't think AE is ideal in doing this sort of thing. You need a lot of masking, the front and back start to overlap...Its a hassle!

I mean, a split flap display that transitions between two images if fine.

On the other hand, a rigged one, that can hold several size images and have its transition chosen and that works in 3d is a little bit too much. You would have to do A LOT of pre comping and your largest resolution image comp must be inside every possible combination of a flip side.

I remember doing not even half you what you're going for and it was painfully slow for AE to handle.

My advise would be: go to a 3d application if you can. Avoid the overlapping and the pain of getting good shadows and the motion blur issues and the huge layer nesting.

Return to posts index

Tim West
Re: Split Flap Display (old style departure board)
on Aug 17, 2015 at 1:38:34 pm

Thanks for the reply - I'm gradually coming to the same conclusion!

Unless there is a way of 'faking' the effect using a looping animation to simulate the cards flipping through until they settle on an image, I think a 3D application (am thinking C4D) will be the way to go too.

Thanks for your input anyway! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]