FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CC 2014.2 Using Full Computing Power?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Elliott II
After Effects CC 2014.2 Using Full Computing Power?
on Aug 16, 2015 at 1:21:53 am

I'm unsure whether or not this is the place to ask about this, so if there's a better place let me know. I just recently completed my new workstation and I feel like AE isn't really utilizing it like it should be, especially coming off my former computer, this doesn't feel like much of a step up. Here are the specs:
Gigabye GA-X99-SLI motherboard
i7 5930k 3.5GHz 6-core processor
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-2800MHz ram
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (Windows 7 OS hard drive)
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked video card
Corsair CX 750W PSU

I tested out performance using some RED footage I have and it worked nicely RAM previewing it, but once I start using effects they don't seem to be performing as fast as they should be, it feels like it's not a great step up from my last station (which only had a 4 core 2.8GHz CPU and a GTX 560ti GPU and 16GB of DDR3 ram). What are some things I could do to improve performance? Looking at task manager I'm guessing hyper-threading must be on, should I leave it or will this hinder performance more than helping it? I've never used the multi-processing options in the settings because my old CPU wasn't that great, and I've always heard people having issues with it with both high-end and low-end tech. I also discovered that there are no multi-processing options in Media Encoder which I use for rendering, but it had the CUDA-accelerated rendering engine, which AE seems to be missing. Is there no way to use both? Any advice on what I should do or what it could be?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects CC 2014.2 Using Full Computing Power?
on Aug 16, 2015 at 7:25:53 pm

[Ricardo Elliott II] "I've never used the multi-processing options in the settings because my old CPU wasn't that great, and I've always heard people having issues with it with both high-end and low-end tech."

Multiprocessing, despite its flaws, is THE way to improve render performance on higher-end systems. You will not see significantly improved performance on your beefy multicore system without out. Enable multiprocessing, leave at least a quarter of RAM available to other applications, and experiment with different RAM allocations per background process to find the best settings for your specific work.

[Ricardo Elliott II] "I also discovered that there are no multi-processing options in Media Encoder which I use for rendering, but it had the CUDA-accelerated rendering engine, which AE seems to be missing. Is there no way to use both? Any advice on what I should do or what it could be?"

Media Encoder does not use CUDA to accelerate Ae renders. It does use CUDA to accelerate (and improve) scaling.

For best performance, use Ae with MP on to render an intermediate file, then compress the intermediate with AME.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]