FORUMS: list search recent posts

Plexus 3d layer Interaction

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ari Grunzeweig
Plexus 3d layer Interaction
on Aug 13, 2015 at 9:51:03 pm

Hi,

I have a small animation. Screenshot and video attached.

My goal is for the question mark to live inside of the Plexus sphere. Currently, because of the way AE handles 3d layers and 3d plugins that isn't happening.

I've come to understand that elementary can be of help. I tried using it but with no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Question Mark Sample

Thanks,
Ari

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Plexus 3d layer Interaction
on Aug 13, 2015 at 11:26:59 pm

I don't know ANYTHING about Plexus, but you might be able to fake it; you've been able to fake the 3D look of a layer inside a sphere for years in AE.

Is it possible to to create the front ONLY and the back ONLY of this sphere in plexus? If so, put the back on the bottom layer, the ? layer in the middle, and the front on the top layer.

It's all 2-D, but it looks 3D.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ari Grunzeweig
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:10:45 am

Hi Dave,

That idea crossed my mind as well, but Plexus doesn't allow to do that. Unless someone knows otherwise.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Ari

Return to posts index

Paul Esteves
on Aug 14, 2015 at 10:39:32 am

From what I can understand about Plexus (I have used it quite a bit), it isn't actually a 3d object, it just looks 3d. The object functions in 2d space as a 3d object. So, it can't interact with other objects.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 14, 2015 at 1:45:00 pm

plexus has no camera cut out feature as most other plugins do...this is a serious limitation in my opinion. You may be able to fake that using lights with instances of the same animation to create a luma matte of front part only.

Return to posts index

Ari Grunzeweig
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:12:06 pm

Hi Cassius. That sounds like an interesting idea, but I can't quite visualize how it would work. Can you explain a bit more please?

Thanks!

Thanks,
Ari

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Aug 14, 2015 at 3:32:52 pm

Plexus will let you use lights to cast colors onto the dots and lines you choose. What Cassius is alluding to is that you could use the lights to shade the front half of the object and create a matte that way. It's not a very good fix if you end up trying to move the camera around. In fact, if there aren't any camera movements at all, I'd just fake the whole look to begin with.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:17:50 pm

[Jason Jantzen] "It's not a very good fix if you end up trying to move the camera around."

I disagree. I think it works. You can set it up rather quickly, and even if you need to move the camera around you can probably link the light to the camera and figure some math (to the properties and camera distance) that would make the matte stay consistant during the movement.

[Ari Grunzeweig] "Can you explain a bit more please?"

Its pretty much what Jason said. You need 3 plexus instances, leave two above and one behind your text. set the topmost one to colorize with lights (I'm during render right now so I can't check the proper property name). Create a light at your camera and set its radius/decay to only reach the middle of your plexus sphere. Use that as a matte for the second plexus that will be the "front half" of your sphere. (maybe you'll need some curves adjustments and such to make it clean).

Return to posts index

Ari Grunzeweig
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:28:30 pm

Makes sense. Thanks guy. I'll give it a try and report back!

Thanks,
Ari

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Aug 14, 2015 at 6:55:03 pm

FWIW, last time I asked Satya about near and far cut off, he said he's implementing that into the next version. But yeah, that helps none of us now, I know. Just good news :)

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Aug 14, 2015 at 7:08:48 pm

indeed it is very good news...

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Aug 14, 2015 at 9:08:47 pm

And there is always the scripted approach to Plexus. I totally forgot about creative dojo's array connector. http://creativedojo.net/store/dojo-array-connector-script/

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Ari Grunzeweig
on Aug 15, 2015 at 11:05:18 pm

The shade effector did the trick! Thanks so much for all the advise.

I took me a while to get it working, but I got there!

Thanks,
Ari

Return to posts index

Joe Bowbeer
on Jul 18, 2016 at 7:40:37 pm

See Depth Map Culling in Plexus 3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]