FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need a piece of advice, removing object from shot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alec ten Brundel
Need a piece of advice, removing object from shot
on Aug 6, 2015 at 1:42:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a small project with a couple of shots that need some adjustments. Though I'm facing a bit of a difficulty where I'd like some advice from more experienced users (novice Mocha user here).

In this shot, I'm trying to remove the rope visible in the screenshot, but this is the trickiest one yet to correct since the colour of the rope is pretty close to the grass. Also there is motion blur and the rope is very thin.The rope is rotating around the pillar in the centre. Making hard for Mocha and AE to track it, let aside removing it.

At this point I cannot come up with a way to removing the rope in this shot. Was hoping for getting advice here,

Any tip is welcome!

Thnx in advance

Return to posts index

Ross Shain
Re: Need a piece of advice, removing object from shot
on Aug 6, 2015 at 4:03:25 pm

Hi Alec,
mocha Pro has some nifty tools to remove objects and match the lighting. However, If you are a real newbie, what I would suggest first is using mocha AE to stabilize the shot and do some clone/patching from small areas on either side of the rope.

You might want to look at the MochaImport+ script from Mamoworld which can help assist the process.
This video is a quick idea of the process:

But you still need to have a grasp on basics of planar tracking to make sure you can track. I would not worry about the rope itself but getting a track on the hay. Tough to tell by the stills, but if the hay is spinning, you will need to track the "rigid" elements such as the walls.

At last resort, sometimes a tricky shot is best solved with a little manual work, such as manually key-framing feathered asks around the rope, duplicating the layer and sliding small portions as patches.

best,
Ross

Ross Shain
Imagineer Systems
http://www.imagineersystems.com

Return to posts index

Alec ten Brundel
on Aug 7, 2015 at 10:29:15 am

Hi Ross,

Thanks for your reply. We've tried to apply it to our shot, in the example you showed the texture on the wall was stil, in our shot we're dealing with a moving grass texture, to which Mocha cannot adapt. Making it look as though there is a different texture underneath the mask.

That is where our problem lies, and the grass is moving pretty fast. We've now tried to manually clone remove the rope for each frame. Which looked fine when just looking at a single frame, but once you play the shot you noticed a lot of distortion where the rope used to be.

At the moment I'm clueless again. If you have any other advice, it's more than welcome

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:01:57 pm
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Aug 7, 2015 at 7:08:11 pm

Definitely sounds like a nightmare shot to fix. I doubt there is any good automatic method for this case.

I would approach it by animating a mask by hand as tightly around the rope as possible and then showing a slightly displaced copy of the grass through it (or over it). You will probably have to also offset the image that shows through by manually keyframing (or by matching the offset to the rotation speed by an expression if you know expressions) to avoid the rope showing through the hole at some angles. In essence, I would try and cover up the rotating rope with a parallel slice of grass right next to the rope. You'll need a moving mask for both ropes in any case.

Hopefully it is not a very long piece of footage.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:10:40 pm

... although, if the machine is spinning at reasonable speed, you may be lucky enough to only have to do the masking on the first round and then duplicate it for all consecutive revolutions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]