FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is my RAW video processing in Adobe AE workflow correct so far? A few questions as well

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kore To
Is my RAW video processing in Adobe AE workflow correct so far? A few questions as well
on Jun 19, 2015 at 2:20:02 am

Hello world, I am currently just getting into shooting RAW video via magic lantern on my canon 6D, processing it via my macbook pro. I've been looking up tons of workflows on youtube to try to see which one works best for me and at the moment I am using adobe after effects to process my raw files since I have an adobe subscription to all of their software. Since it is my first time, I know some of my steps can be modified to make the process quicker so please jump in on any of my steps to give me suggestions! The steps I take are as follows

1) First I export all of my RAW files onto my desktop

2) Then I convert the RAW files to cinema DNGs via RAWmagic lite. Then I number the folders containing all the DNG files with numbers (1, 2, 3, etc..) for the sake of simplifying things down.

3) I then import the first clip of every DNG sequence into after effects one by one (i have tried importing multiple clips but it really lags my computer and it's a big hassle to go through hundreds of frames to select the first of every folder).

4) After each import, camera RAW opens up obviously, and I change the white balance, lens profile corrections, tint, and tones and the color correction I will do in SpeedGrade.

5) After all the DNG sequences are imported, I change the FPS of each to 23.976 via changing the "interpretation" of one and pasting the settings onto the rest.

*BY THE WAY, is the any way for me to set 23.976 fps as the DEFAULT for every DNG sequence that I import? It seems like a waste of time for me to have to keep converting it.*

6) After it's all been converted to the correct FPS, I then drag all of the sequences into the render queue which creates 'compositions' of the same fps which i can use to preview the clips, then i make sure render is on 'best settings' and the output module is on 'lossless,' then I RENDER all of the clips and all the MOV files get exported into a folder on my desktop.

*Another question: is there any way for me to change the "output to" settings for all of my compositions all at once? I current have to click on every single video and set it to the folder i want it to output to.*

*Furthermore, I found that when I try to play the exported MOV files of my RAW footage through quicktime, quicktime automatically "converts" each clip before it can be played. When it said convert I assumed that it was compressing my clips which would bring down the quality so I just left the MOV files as they were and imported them into speedgrade directly without converting them.*

7) Finally, I import the "unconverted" MOV files into speedgrade and colorgrade them before I put them into premiere.

So that is basically my workflow as of now and it definitely subject to change. Since my current computer isnt very fast, this whole process took alot longer than it should have. That being said, if anybody has tips or answers to any of my questions that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Is my RAW video processing in Adobe AE workflow correct so far? A few questions as well
on Jun 19, 2015 at 4:33:14 pm

I can't answer definitely to your overall workflow as I haven't had the pleasure of using RAW myself, but I can help with one thing:

[Kore To] "Another question: is there any way for me to change the "output to" settings for all of my compositions all at once? I current have to click on every single video and set it to the folder i want it to output to."

Put one composition in the render queue and specify its output location. Then add the rest. Voila!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]