FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED sign - best choice of file save type?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bailey Duke
LED sign - best choice of file save type?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 8:26:59 pm

I'm making custom 7 second consecutive ads (there is about 28 of them) for an LED Sign. I use after effects and a macbook pro 13".
The LED sign matrix is 144 (H) x 64 (W) and i've been instructed to use a 720 x 320 px file size.

The problem arises when I go to render as an .avi as I've been instructed but it does not allow me to in either after effects or media encoder.

I've been saving the files as the default .mov. Will this file type be safe to use on the sign with no lag or other issues? If not, what do you suggest I use?

(Additionally, I do not have the budget to purchase new software.)

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: LED sign - best choice of file save type?
on Jun 10, 2015 at 9:12:52 pm

If you can, try and talk with the LED sign guys that will be loading your animation into the LED board software/hardware to find out exactly what they can take.

It's been my experience that they always request uncompressed AVI, but will take Quicktime or even MP4.

If you want to try and send a MOV, use an old standard codec like Photo-JPEG, and send it early so if there is an issue, you'll have time to fix it. I do stadium boards every year, and the same guys that do the football stadium, do the baseball field and several other arenas in the area, so they could be at a different site each day, and if your file does;t work when they need it, they may have trouble recovering.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 10, 2015 at 11:15:51 pm

Macs can't make AVI's as-is. You'd need to locate a software utility to let Macs make AVI's, and it may cost you.

You can also ask if you can deliver a quicktime movie -- using the Photo JPEG codec is good, 'cause every quicktime-equipped machine on the planet can read it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on Jun 11, 2015 at 10:19:13 pm

You indeed CAN export AVI's on a Mac using Quicktime Player 7 and the proper codecs. You just need the QT component. Last month I ran out 6 or 7 AVI's for the Cardinals. Running this on Yosemite btw.

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

Eric Bowman
on Jun 12, 2015 at 12:12:22 am

Found the command to enable AVI for you.

1) Make sure you have QuickTime 7 installed, this will not work with the new Quicktime Player. As long as you have that installed, and you DO NOT see the option on export to select AVI proceed.

2) Open Terminal, copy and paste this command, then hit enter: qtdefaults write LegacyVideoCodecs AppleCinepak enabled

3) You'll see a message stating that Apple Cinepak has been enabled. Relaunch QT 7 and you can now export to a Cinepak codec AVI file.

Good luck! I realize that a lot of the "scoreboard" guys can get along fine with MOV files, but some are stuck in their ways. I feel it's often easier to just give them what they want rather than explain how the MOV is perfectly fine. Hope this helps.

Eric Bowman
AssemblyCreative.com
EricSBowman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]