FORUMS: list search recent posts

Use 3D null position to animate a stroke of a line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Garske
Use 3D null position to animate a stroke of a line
on Apr 21, 2015 at 4:40:09 am
Last Edited By Michael Garske on Apr 21, 2015 at 5:21:40 am

Are there any effects that would allow me to use a null's position to draw on a stroke in 3D space?

I'm looking for an effect similar to what you can achieve using light emitters with Particular.

I thought that parenting 3D stroke Transform parameters to the null's position might do the trick. Once I do that the stroke isn't visible for some reason so I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong.

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Use 3D null position to animate a stroke of a line
on Apr 21, 2015 at 6:30:10 am

I've always done this with particular. You can use a light, or a layer or link a null's position to the emitter.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Michael Garske
on Apr 21, 2015 at 8:53:58 pm

The issue I'm trying to solve is that I'm looking to use two different styles of "strokes" in the same composition. Since Particular doesn't allow you to specify the prefix of light emitter it limits the comp to just one style of particles it seems. The only solution I can think of is to use some other type of effect to get a different style. Or maybe I could use a duplicate comp with a linked AE camera to create another Particular style and drop that in as a precomp?

I'm also hoping to use Elementary to composite the effect with Element 3D using a depth pass. I haven't used that feature with 3D Stroke but it appears to have setting for that.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Apr 22, 2015 at 1:51:17 am

You can apply two instances of particular to the same layer, or two layers each with particular. Link the emitter positions to a null instead of a light.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]