FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects Class

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juli Vizza
After Effects Class
on Mar 18, 2015 at 4:47:34 am

I am experienced editor with more than 18 years in the industry. However, my knowledge of After Effects is limited and I'd like to be more than proficient in the program. So I am looking for suggestions on classes in the Los Angeles region.

Thanks,
Juli

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
Re: After Effects Class
on Mar 18, 2015 at 2:19:17 pm

I never taken a class, did all my learning through the Chris & Trish Meyer books, & free tutorials. Todd Kopriva from Adobe has put together a really good list for learning online, paid and free, really good place to start: Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:34:59 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 18, 2015 at 5:38:46 pm

I'm with the Good Mr. Cuevas on this: get your basic knowledge of AE out the sources he recommends. The Meyers' lessons are particularly helpful, because they're structured to... well, all be in a book together.

These should be easy for someone with experience, and you'll learn a lot about the logic behind the way AE works. That's a big part of the battle.

AE is a 20-year-old application, and as its capabilities have grown, the user interface has gotton very Byzantine to a newcomer. I suspect that would be the biggest head-scratcher for an individual who may have experience with newer compositing applications: "Why did they set up the interface THAT way?" Well, because they added on to the existing one.

Once you have an understanding of the basics, I'm sure you could contact the local LA AE Users group (there MUST be one!) for information on formal classes. They're expensive, and you don't want to waste your money going over basics. You want to spend your money on technique, compositing strategies, and learning from others' experience.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Juli Vizza
on Mar 19, 2015 at 2:41:37 am

Thanks for the insight, super helpful in moving forward.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:26:56 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41:44 pm

Here's a link to the Meyer's stuff. They've been engaged in AE training for a long time, and have used the application since Version 1 (it's now up to v. 13):
http://www.crishdesign.com/books/After-Effects-Apprentice/index.html

One teriffic benefit of this stuff is that you learn the arcane AE Lingo. Case in point: I've been cutting on Avid MC6 for 18 months after years on FCP. I STILL can't tell you what the RTAS Tool is for, or how AAF or AMA work. I bet they're good to know. I just haven't taken the time.

But you're willing to put in the time. You're motivated to learn AE. So if you go into pricey formal classes already knowing After Effects-ese, you won't lose the instructor's comments in translation. More bang for the buck!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Juli Vizza
on Mar 19, 2015 at 2:40:43 am

Thank you for the resources! I appreciate the list and knowing what worked for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]