FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicate comp can not change video & text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronald Czarnecki
Duplicate comp can not change video & text
on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:30:48 pm

I bought a template with comps 2-8 having picture and text. I wanted to make one more comp so I duplicated comp 8 but found I could not change the video or text without affecting the original comp.

Any idea what is connecting these two comps together?

see example below

duplicatecomp.jpg

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Duplicate comp can not change video & text
on Mar 17, 2015 at 2:52:38 pm

When you duplicate a comp, it only duplicates that specific comp. Other precomps referenced in that duplicated comp's timeline are not duplicated -- so that Text_edit precomp in your Scene_08 is the same one referenced in the one you duplicated (Scene_07).

To replace the original Text_edit (07) precomp with the Text_edit (08) precomp, select the Text_edit (07) layer in the timeline, then hold Alt while dragging the Text_edit (08) item from the project panel onto the timeline.

To duplicate an entire composition tree (the comp and all precomps contained within it), see this script:
http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ronald Czarnecki
on Mar 17, 2015 at 3:32:00 pm

Thanks, not understanding this is holding me up. I think I may have not been clear. In the picture I duplicated Scene 8 which created scene 10, in scene 10 the comp says scene 8 and any changes I make in scene 8 will show up in scene 10.

I can import and drag new video from the project window using alt into the scene 10 timeline but this changes scene 8.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 17, 2015 at 4:05:19 pm

[Ronald Czarnecki] "In the picture I duplicated Scene 8 which created scene 10, in scene 10 the comp says scene 8 and any changes I make in scene 8 will show up in scene 10."

Duplicating a comp does not create and link duplicates of every footage item or precomp it contains.

If you have a Scene_08 which contains a comp named "Text_edit" and you duplicate Scene_08 to make a Scene_10 -- they both still refer to the same "Text_edit" precomp. You have to also duplicate that Text_edit precomp and replace the old one from Scene_08 in the Scene_10 comp.

Alternately, check out the True Comp Duplicator script I linked to, and use that to duplicate your Scene_08. It creates and relinks duplicates of every precomp to create completely independent copies.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ronald Czarnecki
on Mar 17, 2015 at 5:13:07 pm

Thank you Walter that "True Comp Duplicator" worked very well.

I assume this is way easier then manually trying to copy and unlink to the original.

Purchase True Comp Duplicator
http://aescripts.com/true-comp-duplicator/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]