FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing the "distance scale" of a composition - NOT the resolution scale (makin' ribbons)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Quackenbush
Changing the "distance scale" of a composition - NOT the resolution scale (makin' ribbons)
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:51:47 pm

So I don't post unless I can't find something via Google. Hence, I'm here.

Issue: I'm trying to create some light/ribbon streaks using either Particular or 3D Stroke. Neither is a perfect solution, but could work My problem is that the camera-solved comp of an aerial skyline has Z distances of over 130000 between camera and a furthest null point, and things like 3D Stroke don't do that kind of distance well, at all, and Particular has a Far Vanish limit of 100000. Is there any way to scale the whole comp/unit distance down by 10? So 130045 becomes 13004.5, etc.?

Alternatively, if there's a better way to make 3d-ish arced strokes than 3d stroke or Particular, what would be recommended? Essentially following this tutorial: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/light_streaks_2/ but on a large scale.

Jordan Q

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Changing the "distance scale" of a composition - NOT the resolution scale (makin' ribbons)
on Mar 10, 2015 at 6:54:36 pm

Create a 3d null. Parent all of your scene elements to the null (created nulls, solids, the camera, etc.). Then simply scale the parent null down. See if that works.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]