FORUMS: list search recent posts

naming conventions for temporary compositions and layers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kendall Shaw
naming conventions for temporary compositions and layers?
on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:40:37 am

How do you choose names for layers and compositions which you are not sure that you will keep, while you are getting close to having too much stuff to keep track of in your head?

For example, I have a general plan for a composition and then think of an idea that I want to explore and then I will think of an idea that I want to explore about the other temporary thing I am exploring. If I tried to come up with a meaningful name it would be like: "The thing that floats out and is translucent to be used with the thing I might use that wiggles". Which, of course, is not going to mean much to me a month later.

Do you have any sort of way of naming things that doesn't require a lot of thought but serves as a mnemonic which makes it more likely that you will remember it?

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: naming conventions for temporary compositions and layers?
on Feb 2, 2015 at 4:18:26 pm

I find short, descriptive names and abbreviations to be helpful, along with color coding your layers. Some are obvious: BG for background, CC for color correction, etc. I like to color my lights yellow, if there is text, I try to color the layer the same as the color of the text. There is no one correct way to do it; I think you just need to find what works best for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]