FORUMS: list search recent posts

In desperate need of assitance with keying a shot with a lot of spill

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaymes Romero
In desperate need of assitance with keying a shot with a lot of spill
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:38:44 am

so for the past 3 days I have tried everything i could possibly think of, searched about a dozen tutorials and even tried 3rd party plugins like spill slayer/killer and nothing seems to work and i always end up with the same type of bad key result.

That's the above prior to using one of the plugins

and that's after using one of the plugins, each of them resulting in the same kind of keying out, even AE's "advanced spill suppression"

So is this absolutely hopeless at this point? Because the last option I have is to just rotoscope the entire shot which I really don't want to do

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: In desperate need of assitance with keying a shot with a lot of spill
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:43:36 am

The actor was too close to the chroma and it looks that there were no lights set with color gels from behind the actor to separate the details (like hair) from the background.
I tried a Luma key and it will get you closer but it's not clean. Sorry to say but rotoscoping may be your best bet. Try Rotobrush - it's not intuitive so watch the tutorials if you never done this before.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Marc Nibor
on Jan 29, 2015 at 10:29:43 am
Last Edited By Marc Nibor on May 6, 2015 at 7:49:45 am

the "Primatte" keyer plugin delivers excellent results. I have seen it do things that made my jaw drop. You should give it a try.

One word of advice. Although in normal cases it's almost a one button solution because of it's auto feature I think that in your case you should spend some time with the manual settings.
Here's a hint. Go into the composite controls of the plugin, enable "spill killer" and here comes the tricky part... try a setting of 40-50 to begin with. The confusing thing about this setting is that you might think either a low or high setting might be good. thruth is, that there is only a very narrow range - usually somewhere around the numbers i just mentioned working, while the high or lowest setting will most likely give you no result at all.

Good luck. and maybe let us know if it worked out for you

EDIT: Ok, I just asked around and here's a very fast mini tutorial for you that should give you an idea within minutes if it will work in your case and may save you from the hassle of learning the whole plugin just for this test.
download and install the demo >
>apply the plugin to your footage.
>press keying>auto
>set keying>sampling style to rectangle
>click on keying>selection>clean FG
>now drag a rectangle within the face of your actor - make sure you dont include any fo the background color.
>everything should look halvway ok by now except for the spill
>go down to composite controls>spill killer
>check "enable"
>set color mode to green
>set the range value to 50% and decrease it in small steps.
be aware that this setting works only in a quite narrow range. if you miss this range you probably won't see any result.

Return to posts index

Jaymes Romero
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:22:54 am

this actually helped quite a lot, although the subject is pretty noisy as hell lol

Return to posts index

Frank Feijen
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:06:38 pm

Seems to me that the edge-not-effected-by-the-spill-killer is rather yellow instead of green, maybe dialling in yellow instead of green as spillcolor might help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:12:48 pm

That, sir, is a whole boatload of green spill light on the subject's face. The screen shot indicates that the face is always in shadow, lit only by reflected light, which is green. Ugh.

If that's the case, you may have to pull the key so it looks good, and simply ignore the spill on the face. Then use either Rotobrush or an animated mask to isolate the face, at which point you can color correct the face alone.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jaymes Romero
on Jan 30, 2015 at 2:24:50 am

funny you should mention the rotobrush as one of the avenues i was going to try was importing the footage into photoshop, using the color corrector tool (which im wondering why in the hell there's not a version of that in after effects because it works so well) on each frame.

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Jan 30, 2015 at 10:53:34 am

Jaymes, if a Photoshop Color Corrector works for you on one frame and may well work on all frames - you could use Photoshop's video support. I have used it on short clips.

Mark

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 30, 2015 at 6:57:01 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 30, 2015 at 11:47:08 pm

I think it might be easier to just duplicate the keyed layer, isolate the face on the upper layer, and color correct in AE. Color Finesse, which comes with AE, may be a good friend.

But that's a whole lot of green on flesh tones, and no matter what you use, it's going to be a painstaking job to increase the amount of blue and red in the face.

Or forget the color correction, and just refer to your subject in the credits as "Chronically Ill Person".

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]