FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quickly edit a few hundred compositions....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Crawford
Quickly edit a few hundred compositions....
on Jan 8, 2015 at 10:45:52 pm

Hi CreativeCow!

So here is the deal ... I have about 800 archival video clips in an aspect ratio of 1440x1080 which I want to convert to 1920x1080 / square pixels. Now these files are all .MTS which has me only able to view/edit and render them in AE CS6 - after which I can plug them into FCP for the documentary I am making.

I am currently making each clip its own composition and then hot keying composition settings, manually changing the width from 1440 to 1920, then selecting square pixels from the drop down, hitting OKAY then going onto the net one.

Unsurprisingly I feel like a zombie after the first 100 clips and am wondering if there is a script or way to copy/paste composition settings from CLIP A onto CLIP B. Some form of automation will also help negate human error of not selecting square pixels on a certain clip, or pasting 1920 twice and breaking another.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quickly edit a few hundred compositions....
on Jan 8, 2015 at 11:56:01 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 9, 2015 at 12:08:51 am

Um, isn't there an application that can batch convert MTS video to ProRes 422? You might ask about it on the FCP forum -- they'd know. A couple of clips? AE's okay. Hundreds? It would be a lot easier to use a tool meant for that purpose.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Jan 9, 2015 at 1:24:14 am
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Jan 9, 2015 at 1:26:05 am

I would look into changing the interpretation rules AE is using when it imports the video. It's a huge text document, but if you can figure out which rules it is using for those videos, you should be able to alter them so that it makes each one 1920x1080 square pixels. I've had to do this so AE correctly imports Avid DNxHD for color space, so if I can figure it out, anyone can.

Scroll down to Edit interpretation rules for all items of a specific kind

Looks like if you sign up for at Video2brain, one of the free tutorials you can see is about modifying the interpretation rules: Interpreting Footage Manually and Automatically

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:46:49 am

Where is this file?

I have found an Interpret Footage feature, and I can change the entirety of my imports to be square pixels with this method - but I cannot change the size at the same time. No matter, I thought, and changed the pixels all to square to save myself 50% of the job, but when I go through my compositions one-by-one and change them to 1920 the image doesn't stretch with the canvas, so I am back to the changing 1-by-1 method until I have time to knuckle down and figure it out (never :( )

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:58:37 am

Why not use Adobe Media Encoder to batch encode them?

Make a preset for the output you want. Add the first MTS to the queue and apply the preset. Then add all the rest of the MTS files, and they will now default to the last preset you used.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:02:02 am

That sounds awesome -- but do you mind walking me through it somewhat. AE is my weak link. I don't think I've ever used Adobe Media Encoder but if it is a part of AE CS6 then I am sure to have it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 3:05:38 am

Start here:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-adobe-media-encoder-cc/overview-of-adobe-me...

That's for AME CC, but the basics will all apply to AME CS6, too.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:44:17 am

I don't seem to have a ProRes 422 preset in AME CS6. I am running latest OS X - but am wondering if there is a download or a plugin I need?

Here is a screen of my user presets and groups.

I need every clip to be 1920x1080, square pixels (which was what this thread started with) but also ProRes 422.

Everything I read on AME says it should be a preset, but I just don't have / see it.

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:50:43 am

UPDATE: I actually just found a download for AppleProRes 422's - a whole bunch - all I need is help on which folder to plop them down in and (hopefully) I'll be good to go.

Anyone know?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:59:07 am

You can import the EPR files through the menu system: Preset > Import...

I'd suggest doing one file as a test to make sure everything is as you expect before doing the whole batch.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:59:48 am

Okay now AME won't even open - I am getting a AMT Subsystem error. Why? It was >just< working, and worked fine before I upgraded to Yosemite like 30 mins ago.

*wonders if anything else can go wrong this evening*

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 11:51:18 am

[Corbin Crawford] "Okay now AME won't even open - I am getting a AMT Subsystem error. Why? It was >just< working, and worked fine before I upgraded to Yosemite like 30 mins ago."

Upgrading your OS, literally in the middle of a job, is not for the faint-hearted!

I haven't run into this myself, but a little Googling suggests that you may need to deactivate then reactivate CS6, or perhaps uninstall, run the Adobe Cleaner tool [link], then reinstall.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Corbin Crawford
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:04:19 pm

Got it to open, just took a few restarts, but now when I try to import any of the ProRes presets I get a:

"Preset could not be imported. No exporter found for this preset."

It never ends.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:19:36 pm

[Corbin Crawford] "Got it to open, just took a few restarts, but now when I try to import any of the ProRes presets I get a: "Preset could not be imported. No exporter found for this preset.""

Maybe those presets are for CC, not CS6.

You can make your own ProRes preset. Just go through each pane of the settings and make sure you're doing what you want -- the right codec, frame size, frame rate, audio layout, etc.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]