FORUMS: list search recent posts

jittering and halos in animation on some TVs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osborne
jittering and halos in animation on some TVs
on Jan 6, 2015 at 4:35:50 pm

I am having an issue with the Bluray discs burned from my animation project jittering and haloing on some TVs during play back. Not quite sure where to post this question. Please tell me if another forum would be better. Since most of the project is built in AE. I thought I'd try here first.

Here is my workflow. Photoshop>AE>Premiere>Encore>Bluray. The animation project is 2048 x 1080 at 24 fps. I am using Apple ProRes 4444 throughout until I let Premiere encode for Bluray then I use the default settings. When I encode from Premiere for BluRay I use "scale to fill" setting so I have a full picture without black bars.

The animation project consists of quite a few hard lines and this is where I am seeing the problems. However, I don't see them on my computer monitor when viewing the mov. file. Nor do I see much of an issue on my home TV. However, when I have tried the discs in some other TVs, there is a small amount of jitter both vertically and horizontally and, even worse, there are white halos along many of the sharp lines. My question is what is causing this? And where in my workflow can I alleviate this situation? Or is it that these people just have there TVs set up wrong?

Thanks for the help!

P.S. Working on MAC. OS 10.10.1. 32 GB memory. All apps are CC 2014 except Encore with is CS6.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: jittering and halos in animation on some TVs
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:47:29 pm

Do all the TV's support 24fps natively? The haloing is probably caused by the sharpness settings on the TV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2015 at 8:52:56 pm

The maximum resolution on a Blu-Ray is 1920x1080. Why make the project at 2048x1080? Aren't you seeing some horizontal distortion when you use the Scale To Fill feature?

And do you mean 24fps or 23.976fps, which is more prevalent in the Western Hemisphere? Small difference in frame rate, but big impact on image.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:27:47 pm

Dave, the reason it is 2048 x 1080 is that it is for a festival and will ultimately be delivered on DCP @ 24fps (not 23.976.) "Scale to fill" seems to blow up the whole picture proportionally.

I think the problem might be on the side of the TVs as Tero suggested. As I said, it is perfect on my tv. I think one of the other tvs I tried it on is over sharpened, which is causing the white outlines/halo. The third tv that I tried only has composite video going from the player to the TV. It was by far the worse situation.

I am curious, however, if there is a filter in AE that will help the situation on TVs that are over sharpened without affecting the animation negatively. Or if I should go back to PS and blur all the edges.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:38:14 pm

It could also be the colors you used in the animation.

You may have used over-saturated colors. One example would be a pure red with pure white or black text over it. You'd see all sorts of noise on almost anything in that situation.

You could check by rendering out a small portion of it, desaturating it a bit in Premiere, burning it in Encore, and checking on those TV's where it looked bad. If the problem goes away, you'd know it it was the colors, and you can alter them a bit in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Jan 7, 2015 at 8:44:14 pm

Thanks Dave I'll look into that. It definitely has a lot of saturated color in it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]