FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d layers with effects applied disappear in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Exton
3d layers with effects applied disappear in after effects
on Dec 16, 2014 at 12:13:25 pm

Hi there,

Apologies if this topic has been discussed previously, I did a search and found similar issues, but nothing that matches/fixes the same issues I'm currently experiencing.

So, I'm working with AE CS6 and am having a strange issue with some 3D layers that I'm thinking maybe a bug.

I have a main comp:

Within this comp I have another comp (which is a piece of paper) with layers containing certain elements. (text, shapes etc):

Within this comp I have another comp that contains a circular element with a "Fill" applied to it:

All cont rasterize switches are ON. All layers set to 3D.

In the main comp, I have a camera which zooms into the piece of paper. The layers with any applied affect such as a fill, disappears during the zoom and then re-apears afterwards? (You will notice that the colour blocks also disappear - this also has a fill applied)

What's strange is that if I remove the fill from one element, it fixes EVERYTHING, even the other layers with effects applied.

I'm completely stumped as to why it does this. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 3d layers with effects applied disappear in after effects
on Dec 16, 2014 at 1:35:42 pm

Try clearing your cache.

On CS6:

Edit > Preferences > Media & Disk Cache... Empty Disk Cache

and

Edit > Purge > All memory

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matt Exton
on Dec 16, 2014 at 2:41:49 pm

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the response. Just tried that with an AE restart and mac reboot but unfortunately, no success.
Also I have CS6 fully updated.

Any other suggestions?

Many Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 16, 2014 at 5:26:05 pm

The switch is not "Continuously Rasterize" when applied to 3D comp layers -- it's "Collapse Transformations." This changes the render pipeline, effectively pulling the contained layers into the containing comp. Using it can get confusing...

Are these layers at the same z-depth? Does moving the background element back a pixel or two make a difference?

What if you ditch the fill and apply the color directly to the shape layer?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2014 at 7:28:30 pm

I might have missed something, but I didn't see anything that even required the use of 3D.
Plain ol' 2D and scaling using Continuously Rasterize could be a lot simpler.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Exton
on Dec 17, 2014 at 11:43:58 am

Hi Dave,

The layers are 3D as I have a camera set up that zooms in and out of the different elements on the pages, so that they scale up respectively. Also, I rotate the pages on the y axis at one point so they essentially spin around to reveal the "back page"

Thanks,
Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2014 at 4:47:01 pm

You can sidestep that issue in 2D through the use of nulls, parenting, scaling and continuously rasterize. No camera necessary, no 3D necessary, no 3D complications necessary.

Chris Meyer of Chris & Trish Meyer and the Pro Video Coalition, a highly-experienced and hightly-respected member of the upper level of the AE community often comments on 3D. To paraphrase, "There's a reason they call it 3D. It takes three times as long to accomplish the same thing you can do in 2D."

You're obviuously free to do what you wish, but I recommend a re-thinking to make it all 2D.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Exton
on Dec 17, 2014 at 11:37:49 am

Hi Walter,

Yeah sorry, "Collapse Transformations".

The layers are all the same z-depth. Moving the background layer (IE the piece of paper) does help for a couple of frames but then the mentioned assets disappear again.

The "shape layers" I mentioned are actually Illustrator assets, not AE shapes so there are no options to apply direct colour.

I was trying to save some time in Illustrator by creating the "bronze" circle and then reusing it in different colours by applying the fill.

I'm just baffled as to the behaviour of the layers positioning when effects are applied. As I said, If I remove the "fill" from one element, it fixes the others...Bizarre!

Thanks for you're suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]