Water coloring

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gigi Marzo
Water coloring
on Dec 10, 2014 at 12:42:13 pm

Hi!

I have to film a scene about water.
I'll try to explain better: I have to film a boy (and after a girl) in bathtub, so I cannot color physically/in the narrowest sense the water with color pigment (or in other way), so I would like to know if is possible to do it in post production with after effects!

Can u help me?!?

Thank u in advance!

PS the color of water that I want is black, like this photo

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Water coloring
on Dec 10, 2014 at 2:16:35 pm

Why not use some coloring in the actual water? Make sure you find one that washes off skin fairly easily and don't keep the kids in there for too long and you should be fine.

It would be very difficult to color clear water. Actually, it would be impossible. You would have to replace the water completely.

Alternatively, you could put a lot of dirt (or other kind of coloring) in there and make it brown. Then you could color that darker in post. I would run some tests of this first before you shoot with the talent and a full crew.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gigi Marzo
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:15:50 pm

the problem is that the owner of the bathtub (a hotel owner) will not let me use products in the water (even if the label says: not ruin!)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:28:39 pm

You can't color clear water.

If you put a lot of soap in there to make it white and full of suds, it still won't be easy to color it black. And when I say, "Won't be easy," I mean, "pretty close to impossible".

Some bubble bath products intended for kids are made to create colorful bubbles. Would he let you use that? That would be easier to change.

Again, I would test all this before the location shoot.

Any chance of shooting close-up shots of the kid in a tub in a different location and then shoot wide shots in the hotel from the side of the tub without the water in the shot?

If all else fails, you may have to completely replace the water.

Wave World could be used to make some pretty realistic wave behavior. You can even put in barriers for the tub walls and everything. Then Caustics or some other effects could be used to create the actual water. However, this route is going to be very hard to get right.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2014 at 9:40:38 pm

Besides, who says you have to use dyes or food coloring to color the water? Soft drinks come in almost every color of the rainbow.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 11, 2014 at 11:59:03 pm

MIlk?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]