FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stock video appears choppy after exporting project from After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy McCloud
Stock video appears choppy after exporting project from After Effects
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:08:53 pm

I'm a little new to After Effects and I've just started using some stock video footage from VideoBlocks. The video will play just fine by itself, but when I export the project to an mp4 with Media Encoder, a few of the stock footage videos seem a little bit jerky.

It's not bad, but it's enough to bother me. I've had this happen to me before and I've tried stabilizing the footage, thinking that might help it appear to run smoother, but it didn't work.

I've looked at each video I'm using, and maybe this is a coincidence, but it seems the ones that appear jerky after export are those whose frame rate is 30fps. My project is set at 23.976 and the other videos, that seem to be fine after export are 29.97.

I would think that after effects would convert them all to my project settings, so I don't know if that might be part of the problem.

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stock video appears choppy after exporting project from After Effects
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:20:22 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:21:30 pm

No! AE does NOT do automatic frame rate conversion! Not even close!

If you're new, you really owe it to yourself to start by learning the AE basics. If you don't, you're only hurting yourself.

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloud
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:44:38 pm

Thanks for your reply! I've maybe been using for 4 months, I've done pretty good so far, and I've seen some basic courses already, but I don't remember seeing anything about this problem I'm having. I just bought a subscription to videoblocks so I'm just now getting into using stock video. Where as before it was just kinetic typography work and some still graphics I'd animate.

I just need to know how to fix this particular problem right now and tackle anything else I might come across when I get to them as I only have a limited amount of time to work on this project. I'll research frame rate conversion to see what I can find out, but I take it that's probably my problem.

I really appreciate your reply and your help! I see you on here a lot, thanks for helping us all out!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2014 at 6:52:39 pm

Well, okay then.....

DO NOT mix frame rates. Keep a consistent frame rate throughout the project. If you have to mix frame rates, pick one for delivery and use frame rate conversion software to convert the wrong-rate footage to the rate you chose. If you're not worried about speed of motion, you can always conform the footage in AE's interpret footage settings.

And of course, frame rates and codecs for rendering are always determined by the delivery specs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloud
on Dec 9, 2014 at 7:06:53 pm

Thank you! I think for what I'm working on the speed of the video is not important and there is no sound, so I'll look into conforming the footage in AE's interpret footage setting.

But for the future, is there a frame rate conversion software you recommend?

Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 9, 2014 at 7:11:59 pm

Revision FX's Twixtor.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeremy McCloud