FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create foam in AE.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Pickering
Trying to create foam in AE.
on Dec 6, 2014 at 6:08:38 am

Hi there,
I am trying to create an effect of beer being poured into a clear cup with a black background. I started with a yellow/orange BG, then added some bubbles which I managed to generate using the Foam effect in AE.

What I cannot figure out though, is how to make foam. The Foam effect works great for generating bubbles, but I want to create a thick, frothy foam that grows as the beer level rises. Any ideas on how to make this in AE?
Thanks!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Trying to create foam in AE.
on Dec 6, 2014 at 8:28:41 am

This would be quite easy to shoot. Now a days with a GoPro, a couple of cheap LED flashlights, a black mounting board and of course a glass and beer you should be able to get pretty good footage. Depending on the model of GoPro you have you can get 120 fps in 720 (Hero 3 Black) or 1080 (Hero 4 Black). That makes for some awesome slow motion that can be modified in AE for speed changes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on Dec 6, 2014 at 8:18:58 pm

Thanks Ted. I thought about shooting it for real since it would be much easier, however in this case I want it to be a bit more stylized. The final effect will actually be a letter of text (black text on black bg) that gets filled with beer to reveal the text. I figured it would be easier to go for a "glass" of beer first, then use the text as an alpha track matte.

In any case, I figured out how to use a track matte to contain the bubbles which I just moved up as the beer filled it up. Here's my first attempt which is more or less the general effect I was going for. It's not perfect but I think it gets me a good base to start playing around with.

beer text

If at the end of the day I need to shoot real beer I'll at least know now how to use the foam effect... which I've never touched before.

Thanks again Ted. Any other suggestions are more than welcome though.

-Stephen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 7, 2014 at 7:31:51 am

If you have Newton these tutorials may give you some ideas for animating the beer filling the glass. I would like to see a more organic foam buildup.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Stephen Pickering
on Dec 26, 2014 at 6:13:07 pm

Thanks everyone,

I've trying to justify purchasing Newton, but I just don't have a good enough reason... yet. I'm working on it though!

I ended up tweaking it a bit more and still using the digital version. The "real" deal would have been much easier but it wasn't the stylized look I was going for, it would have been too real.

I appreciate your time and suggestions though!
-Stephen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2014 at 5:42:08 pm

I'm with Ted: shoot it as a practical effect and use a track matte to create the letter containing the beer. It comes down to planning how wide/tight to shoot the beer.

The nice thing about shooting the beer as a practical effect -- when you're done, you have an excuse to drink beer.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

idar lettrem
on Dec 8, 2014 at 7:27:33 pm

A bit off, but still near the topic of creating fluids - If you take a look at this short demo " http://www.revisionfx.com/products/reflex/gallery/ " ( topmost one - crystal ligth ) it is stated that RE:Flex was used to warp water to appear as if it was coming off clothing.

Now, I have both re:flex and freeform pro , but still wonder how to recreate this nice effect :)
Anyone here in position to share some thougths, or maybe point to a tutorial that could shed some ligth to enable me to solve this challenge?
And yes - consider me a noob. But a very interested one . . . with some years together with AE

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 9, 2014 at 8:07:50 am

start a new post on this one - better chance to get more answers

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]