FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding effects to multiple objects at once

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Wessel van Wegen
Adding effects to multiple objects at once
on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:21:47 pm

Hey there!

I have a question about something I´ve been struggling with for a while now..
I´m working on a project, where I need to track an object above someone´s head. The object is made of a couple of pieces, and some of them are see-through with a bit of blur (see image). Everything works fine the way I do it now, but the thing is that I want to make the complete object above the girls head blurry, at the same time as the camera gets out of focus to make it look realistic. I've tried to precompose the object, but then I lose the blurry see-through in the object. I want to animate some camera lens blur on the object, but I have now Idea how to do it, without having to apply the blur effect on every single piece of the object. (By the way, the object avove the girl's head has some animation in it as well, the heart and the cross icon moves inside of the blurry box)

I hope that someone knows how this works!

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Wessel

(Image link: http://puu.sh/dfYZS/a872e27385.jpg)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Adding effects to multiple objects at once
on Dec 4, 2014 at 12:21:20 am

A little bit of modification should fix it.

First, put all the layers of that graphic in a precomp. Don't worry about the blur and color layers. Leave them in the main comp.

Add the precomp to the main comp, apply the tracking data to the precomp and adjust the position as needed. Match up the Color & Blur Layers' positions to the graphic in the precomp, then parent both to the precomp.

Now you can modify the precomp's paramaters without affecting the layers you left behind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wessel van Wegen
on Dec 4, 2014 at 4:30:46 pm

Hey guys!

Thank you very much for your reaction guys! I tried the way you told me how to fix it, but it isn´t working as it should the way I tried it... I kind of combined both of the comments on this thread. I pre-comped The layers of the object, except the one for the blur, and the one for the color. After that I added an adjustment layer with a slider to control the blur. But when I do that, it gives a blur inside the complete object, and that's not what I'm looking for. The object needs to blur out completely. I think I did something wrong, but I hope that you guys can help me further with it! I attached a screenshot again to show how it looks right now.

Thank you so much again!

Best regards,

Wessel

Screenshot: http://puu.sh/dgOsT/5c1f2b4881.jpg

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:01:23 pm

Don't use an adjustment layer. Blur the precomp layer. Or blur layers withing the precomp if you want to be more selective.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wessel van Wegen
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:19:24 pm

Hey!

That´s actually what I did at the previous screenshot. I blurred the precomp, but I still have those 2 layers left that give the object itself it´s see/through part. I´ve done the same thing at this one, but the two èffect`layers don´t blur the way they should. I don´t want those sharp edges around the object when it´s blurred.. Sorry if I´m understanding you wrong.. I´m a bit new to this kind of animation-precomping things.. Hope you can help me!

best regards,

Wessel

New screenshot: http://puu.sh/dgRab/425c988a07.jpg
What's inside the precomp: http://puu.sh/dgRum/dc8e882e33.png

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Dec 4, 2014 at 8:16:36 am

If you've done already all the work and all you need is to apply a camera blur, do it for every layer of the object/graphic, create an Adjustment Layer with Expression Control Sliders and link the properties of the Camera Blur from each layer to the Sliders in the Adjustment Layer. This way you can animate the Blur on all elements of the object at the same time.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]