FORUMS: list search recent posts

H.264 is missing from my render settings...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Garabedain
H.264 is missing from my render settings...
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:20:52 pm

It was there yesterday. But its gone today. Its not even in the options to render out as h264. It was my default render for quicktime.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: H.264 is missing from my render settings...
on Dec 3, 2014 at 7:57:49 pm

What did you change between yesterday and today?

But I gotta tell you: rendering an H.264 out of AE isn't a great choice in the first place. AE can't do multipass encoding, which helps H.264's.

Besides if you do that, you have no lossless archive copy of the animation, which you can use to make nice encodes to other codecs.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 3, 2014 at 10:00:15 pm

Dave asks good questions. What changed? Did you upgrade your OS? Did you change your QuickTime installation? Did you update your AE?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 4, 2014 at 1:25:55 am

I wish i knew what had changed. A restart might fix it, but ive been too busy to do one. I did not do anything. But i had accidentally left my computer on overnight. I restarted it this morning. And that was all i did.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 4, 2014 at 2:20:19 pm

What's your exact version number of AE?
Same questions regarding your OS.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:40:45 pm

The problem is fixed. When i started my computer this morning. the h264 option was back on. I have cc 2014

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Dec 4, 2014 at 5:42:43 pm

Sounds like a CC license glitch.

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 5, 2014 at 2:54:07 am

Ae CC 2014 doesn't render H.264 directly; Richard was using QuickTime to render H.264.

While CC licensing does allow access to licensed codecs via MediaCore, that's unrelated to QuickTime so I'd suspect the glitch was elsewhere.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Brame
on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:15:36 pm

Thought I'd read that 2014 apps no longer used QT as their MOV rendering engine. Maybe I was dreaming...

Asus P6X58D Premium * Core i7 950 * 24GB RAM * nVidia GeForce GTX 770 * Windows 7 Premium 64bit * System Drive - WD Caviar Black 500GB * 2nd Drive(Pagefile, Previews) - WD Velociraptor 10K drive 600GB * Media Drive - 2TB RAID0 (4 - WD Caviar Black 500GB drive) * Matrox MX02 Mini * Adobe CC * QuickTime 7.7.5
-------------------------------------------
"98% of all computer issues can be solved by simply pressing 'F1'."
Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:46:39 pm

[Steve Brame] "Thought I'd read that 2014 apps no longer used QT as their MOV rendering engine. Maybe I was dreaming..."

That depends on the codec. CC 2014 added 64-bit ProRes support on the Mac platform, so they are clearly not relying on QT for that. I'd suspect but do not know for sure that CineForm would also be handled natively. Other codecs that you'd think would be supported by MediaCore (like Animation codec in MOV wrapper) are still handled by QuickTime.

But while we're on the topic, I'd suggest that QuickTime's H.264 encoder is not great and that rendering to MOV/H.264 may not yield the best results. I generally prefer to render to an intermediate format and let Adobe Media Encoder handle the H.264 encode. This is a pretty simple process with watch folders.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]