FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAM Preview vs. Final Render?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Dodson
RAM Preview vs. Final Render?
on Nov 27, 2014 at 2:58:01 am

I have a comp with several layers of "Add grain" so you can imagine the render time for a RAM preview is excruciatingly slow. I just RAM previewed (took 10 minutes) loved the results and immediately hit "Render" and when I hit the key to start rendering AE had to re-render all those grain layers!! (CS6 / Mac OS X)

Aren't those RAM previews saved at fully uncompressed? Why can't AE use the RAM preview as my final render? I know I can "Save RAM Preview"… But that's not the question I'm asking.

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
Re: RAM Preview vs. Final Render?
on Nov 27, 2014 at 3:09:30 am

PS - I have the entire comp Cached to the hard disk - so I can't understand why those cached RAM preview frames can't be used for the final render…

Jim Dodson

Return to posts index

Graham Macfarlane
on Nov 27, 2014 at 1:26:00 pm

Hi Jim,

When you initially did your RAM cache, did you have AE set to show full resolution?

Graham Macfarlane - 3D visualisation and VFX
3D Studio Max | Vray | Pflow | PhoenixFD | After effects | Mocha

http://www.elyarch.com - London UK

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
on Nov 27, 2014 at 4:52:56 pm

Hi Graham-

Great question - I thought we had cracked it, because I did not have it set to full resolution. But I just ran a test; RAM previewing at full resolution - cache'ing those frames then doing a final render and it does indeed still need to re-render those frames again.

Jim Dodson

Return to posts index

Graham Macfarlane
on Nov 27, 2014 at 6:37:59 pm

In the render settings you can set a final render to full, half, third, quarter or custom, just like the setting at the bottom of the main comp window for the RAM/disk caching. I take it they both match?

Don’t forget that even if AE is rendering from RAM/disk cache, it won’t render at real-time playback speed. This is because it has to compress the data into a video stream or compress the image files and store them too. Depending on the destination location, drive speed and compression choice, you could experience slowdowns of perhaps the order of a second or two per frame for HD.

Return to posts index

Jim Dodson
on Nov 27, 2014 at 7:38:00 pm

Thanks Graham -- thanks to you -- I have a solution of sorts… Although, considering my settings and the fact that I am not using motion blur on any layer and the master Motion Blur button remains off, it feels like an AE bug or at least a strange hiccup. Here's what I discovered:

My render queue settings automatically sets Motion Blur to "On for Checked Layers".

Even though I have no layers with checked motion blur (I'm not using motion blur at all), when I manually change Motion Blur to "off" in the Render Settings, AE successfully uses the Cached frames in the final render and it goes REALLY fast.

THEN I realized if I change Motion Blur Render Settings to "Current Settings" it also uses the CACHED frames - this is probably the best choice for that setting…

Thanks again Graham!! Really appreciate it!!!

Jim Dodson

Return to posts index

Graham Macfarlane
on Nov 27, 2014 at 8:08:48 pm

Glad you got to the solution!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>