FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to animate moving mask on complex object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anttipekka Heiskanen
How to animate moving mask on complex object
on Nov 26, 2014 at 11:27:23 am

Hi there gurus and other AE people!

I'm new to AE and this is my first post in here. I tried to find solution through search and googled tutorials, but none of them gave me an answer or solution for my problem.

Right now I'm animating a logo which includes some complex shapes (at least for me at this point). I can do basic animation and shape-shifting to masks, but I can't seem to find solution for this one on my own.

I need to animate the logo (only part of it in the pic) as "painted" look. The trouble occured when the mask comes to reveal the curves and going underneath other objects. Is there any other solution than cutting the logo to smaller pieces in Illustrator and putting parts of loops and curves on separate layers and masking them to reveal that way?

Have a nice day and many thanks in advance!

- A. Heiskanen

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: How to animate moving mask on complex object
on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:58:45 pm

[Anttipekka Heiskanen] "Is there any other solution than cutting the logo to smaller pieces in Illustrator and putting parts of loops and curves on separate layers and masking them to reveal that way?"

If the parts you need to treat are a different color, you could try to key them.

If there's at least a little bit of contrast at the edges you need to cut around, you could try using the rotobrush (even though it's a still image) to paint in the foreground and paint out the background.

You can mix multiple simpler masks on a layer, adding and subtracting as necessary, to isolate the parts you need to treat.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Anttipekka Heiskanen
Re: How to animate moving mask on complex object
on Nov 26, 2014 at 9:26:23 pm

Thank you for your answer! I knew there would be many solutions for this, but I couldn't find them myself. I'll definitely try some of these techniques.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]