FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering problems in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Long
Rendering problems in After Effects
on Nov 13, 2014 at 1:57:21 am

First off, this is my first time on the forums so glad to be here! Okay, onto my problem... I have been using after effects for a few years now on several projects with no worries, but this recent project I have been working on is giving me problems. It either quits just 20-30 frames in or completely crashes my PC (blue screen). I have ran basic memory diagnostics and that came back fine, I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems? I am using quite a few effects and expressions as well, but not more than I typically use. Also here is a list of my PC specs.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX 8350 8 Core @ 4.3 GHz
16 GB RAM

Temps to my PC stay roughly around 42c and 50c while rendering.

Any thoughts guys?

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: Rendering problems in After Effects
on Nov 13, 2014 at 2:14:31 am

Without knowing the details of your project, version of After Effects etc, its difficult to troubleshoot.

One thing that might provide a clue is to watch the render progress and see precisely what frame and process causes the issue. Then examine your project to see what files, effects, expressions are invoked at that frame. Often diagnosing render crashes involves a process of elimination.

Remove all the effects and expressions and try the render again. If it fails, its something to do with the footage or media, if not add the effects back in one-at-a-time and test the render etc.

Return to posts index

Chris Long
on Nov 13, 2014 at 3:57:54 am

Thanks for the reply, I just tried to render just the footage out with no effects or sound, still not working. I also just made sure all drivers were up to date, tried on 2 different version of After Effects. So I am guessing this means it is either a media problem like you said or maybe my basic diagnostic on the RAM may have been false. Any other good Memory testers out there other than MemTest86? Also, would it be a possibility that my GPU could be the culprit? I am running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 with 2 GB's of RAM and it has been through hell and back. I am about to upgrade that to a GTX 970 with 4 GB's of RAM anyways, but that is not for another month. I appreciate the help Brian!

Return to posts index

Chris Long
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:00:13 am

h and I forgot to mention that I also tried rendering without multi-processing and tried several different allocation setups while multi-processing.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Nov 13, 2014 at 1:17:48 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Nov 13, 2014 at 1:19:30 pm

Video which is compressed using long GOP or similar: MXF, AVCHD, etc may cause rendering problems. If any of the video is in a format that does not contain whole frames of information the frames must be reconstituted on-the-fly during render.

If that's the case, try transcoding to a whole frame format.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:31:47 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:36:18 pm

free software that reads bsod dump files
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

or check the C:\window\minidump files manually.
Windows 7:
Go to Start and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that "Automatically restart" is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select "Small memory dump (64 kB)" in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as "%systemroot%Minidump" (without the quotes)
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect

also
try
PassMark BurnInTest which will torture test your components for faults.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]