FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Color Themes Trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Demian Krentz
Adobe Color Themes Trouble
on Oct 29, 2014 at 7:26:13 pm
Last Edited By Demian Krentz on Oct 29, 2014 at 7:26:25 pm

Having trouble understanding how to use this panel in AE. Is it just there to allow color picker-style access to the Kuler themes I create on the website and with the desktop app? Or is there a way to actually link my theme (apart from simply using the color picker) to items in my project? All of the tutorials seem to imply that, at least in AE, it's just a glorified screengrab. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Adobe Color Themes Trouble
on Oct 29, 2014 at 7:58:37 pm

> Is it just there to allow color picker-style access to the Kuler themes I create on the website and with the desktop app?

Yes.

The way to use the colors from this panel is simply to use the eyedropper.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Demian Krentz
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:09:15 pm

And to completely answer my question, Todd, there isn't a way to link my theme to items in my project and yes, it is just a glorified screengrab. Totally cool that it has the functionality it does. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something fancier. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:39:16 pm

BTW, the main reason that we added this feature wasn't for the color functionality itself (which is of some value) but because this Color Themes panel is created with HTML5 in a CEP panel. This gave us a chance to fully exercise the features of this new platform that we added to After Effects for anyone to create panel extensions.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Demian Krentz
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:44:01 pm

So the primary benefit of this "feature" is to demo another feature? You can see how that might confound/confuse folks who actually want to use a fully integrated Kuler panel in AE, right?

Please don't think I'm complaining. I'm just looking for clarification. I understand what's going on now and I continue to think that this improves access to themes.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:49:05 pm
Last Edited By Todd Kopriva on Oct 29, 2014 at 9:49:32 pm

I wouldn't go quite that far. I'd say it more like this:

If we were considering adding Kuler integration to After Effects all by itself, we might say "Meh, we have more important things to do." But, when it was suggested that we could add Kuler integration and also work out all of the kinks in a new extension platform at the same time, the effort seemed much more worthwhile. It's getting two birds with one stone.

It's the same as the Cartoon effect. When we added that in After Effects CS4, a lot of folksm criticized us for wasting time on an effect with limited usefulness. But the real reason that we went to that effort was that we built that effect using a whole new effect API that enabled GPU acceleration and other things. That latter part was very important work; the fact that we got a somewhat useful specific creative effect as a side benefit was nice, but that's what it was: a side benefit.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 30, 2014 at 2:15:01 pm

That is a very interesting post, Todd. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy hearing how things work on the development side of things.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]