FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating a view from on top of a Skyscraper

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dallas kruse
Creating a view from on top of a Skyscraper
on Oct 2, 2014 at 5:26:55 am

I have a green screen shot I did where in the fantasy of the actors mind, he's standing on the ledge of a tall building looking down at the street below ... ready to jump.

My question is, how would you guys go about setting the "fantasy scene" below him.

In the shot, his feet are seen on the ledge and I green screened all around so i've successfully keyed out all the necessary space around his POV.

Would you create the city scene below him in Elements Metropolitan? Or grab stock footage from somewhere and layer that in?

I have about 3-4 shots of him
1. first person POV looking down at the street.
2. profile view, full body, of him falling off the ledge

here are a few of the stills

What do you guys recommend?

The shots looking from actors POV, I'd like to create the sense of height ... standing on top of a building.

The falling shot, which I've already rotoscoped out... I'd like to place him on the ledge of a building.

Mind you, these are only a few frames each so it doesn't have to be AMAZINGLY layered.

Should I build something in Elements Metropolitan? Or grab stock footage from somewhere and layer around it?

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCP 7. CS3, 5. AE.
Canon T3i.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Creating a view from on top of a Skyscraper
on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:53:28 am

There's nothing like shooting real background plates. If you can, get on top of some buildings and shoot the plates there matching the camera (lens, position...). You can even try using a GoPro Hero 3 Black and up, on a medium or narrow setting on pole mounts to get the right angles. You could do it in Element 3D with more control over the scene, but it will be hard to get away from that cg look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Oct 2, 2014 at 3:03:00 pm

It is really a matter of what you are more comfortable with and the style of your narrative. If you want a more gritty or saturated look CG will probably be fine, but if you want real world daylight shot then it is harder to pull off in CG. If your comfortable with CG enough to make it look realistic and it is easier then having to go out and find a tall building that will let you shoot then do it, if not then use footage. anyways if you want to do it CG, as always everyone's main man Andrew Kramer already has a tutorial on how to do it. I copied the link below. This is before Element so he uses a separate 3D software but just do what he does but replace the outside 3D software with Metropolitan pack. Hope that helps.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/3d_ledge/

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

dallas kruse
on Oct 2, 2014 at 3:25:41 pm

All great points.

I live in OC/Los Angeles so one would think getting my own footage wouldn't be a problem....but it has been difficult to get access to the roof of a massive building.

Some of the shots are literally flashes (12 frames or so) so maybe CG will work for the shots I absolutely can't film on my own.

I looked on VideoBlocks but couldn't find anything awesome.

I am ALL for natural light and real footage so maybe I'll ask around and search for some spots to get some filming done....

Music Producer dabbling in Video.
FCP 7. Adobe CS6.
Canon T3i.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2014 at 5:05:14 pm

Is that blue screen shot of the guy leaning back just a test? The subject looks WAY overexposed. Hardly any detail on the guy's face.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]