FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is current time changing as I move from comp to comp within project?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Sage
Why is current time changing as I move from comp to comp within project?
on Sep 29, 2014 at 9:06:37 pm

I have a project that depends almost entirely on setting markers in one comp, then making something happen in another at that exact time... over and over throughout dozens of nested comps.

I've gone to great lengths to make sure all my nested comps are the same length, and they all start at the same time (nothing has a staggered start time) There are a few whose visibility start is dragged up (not sure of term for dragging the inner handle that doesn't move comp contents, but makes it become visible at that point)

Anyway, I've gone out of my way to make sure everything should be fully synchronous, yet I still get crazy making moments where I jump from one comp to another, and my current time indicator jumps to another point.

I have a couple of time=reversed layers in there, but I'm not jumping inside them, and I've checked that the comps that contain them have timelines matching all others.

What else should I be looking at? Is there a better, more reliable way to jump between comps while maintaining the same absolute position in master timeline?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Why is current time changing as I move from comp to comp within project?
on Sep 30, 2014 at 12:42:10 am

[Greg Sage] "What else should I be looking at? Is there a better, more reliable way to jump between comps while maintaining the same absolute position in master timeline?"

Make sure that the preference to "Synchronize time of related items" is checked, and try to travel between precomps via the main comp by double-clicking on the precomp layer (or selecting it and pressing return) rather than clicking through the timeline tabs.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Sep 30, 2014 at 1:12:43 am

I'll look for that in prefs. It's a new install since I just moved over to cc, so I haven't changed anything from default yet.

As for clicking through main comp... I'd fill up the tabs with garbage constantly as I'm flipping back and forth between subcomps stacked 10 or more deep in many cases. There must be some way around that bit... I'm hoping...

Basically, I have a subcomp for footage, the footage has been marked prior to AE, then I need to jump back and forth between this footage comp, back up 10 levels or so to main comp, back down to another footage comp, back up, etc. I try to do as much as possible in the main comp, but it's not always workable to avoid having to go out to get something done.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 30, 2014 at 1:23:48 am

The top-left of the Comp Panel provides a useful visual/feature for navigating across related comps. Take a look-see at the image below -

The yellow highlight denotes the active comp. The green highlight denotes the nested comp. You navigate across the comps by clicking on their label names.

HTH
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:42:18 pm

[Greg Sage] "As for clicking through main comp... I'd fill up the tabs with garbage constantly as I'm flipping back and forth between subcomps stacked 10 or more deep in many cases. There must be some way around that bit... I'm hoping..."

Greg, I have been having this same issue on the project I'm working on now, and you've inspired me to write a script to make it easier. If you'd like to help test it, please contact me off-forum (walter at keenlive dot com).

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Oct 1, 2014 at 11:15:24 am

Hi Walter, I'd like to help - please send me details via email.

Cheers
- Roland

TypeGEMs - the Definitive Type Gizmo for AE
http://broadcastgems.com/typegems/

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations
Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

http://www.broadcastgems.com/mographintensity_shapestext/

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:05:08 pm

Absolutely. This has been a niggling issue for some time, and it looks like the direction I'm going, it's going to become increasingly important to get right as I'm relying on hopping back and forth to line up markers hundreds of times over.

Email sent.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]